Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Long Weekend Trip. . . Anywhere??

jessus

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Tags: canada, united states, texas, west coast, east coast, quebec, new orleans, long weekend
  • Added on: May 18th, 2011
Three friends and I are considering a long weekend trip. . . somewhere. The one thing we are pretty sure of is that it would be during the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend (second weekend in October).

We are all females in our mid-20's living in Southern Ontario, and would have to choose somewhere that wouldn't take too long in travel time (either driving or flying) . . .and preferably wouldn't cost tons of money for transportation either.

Some shared interests: interesting food, classic & local rock, historical sites (2 of the 4 were history majors), drinking (including wine, for sure), and places that are just plain different from where we are.

Not much of an interest: night clubs, spas, your usual "girls' getaways".

A few ideas being batted around so far:
- West Coast Canada (Victoria/Vancouver Island OR Yukon territory)
- East Coast Canada (Newfoundland [St John's, Viking sites, a bit of the wild interior]; New Brunswick [Bay of Fundy, whales, etc]; OR Cape Breton Island)
- Quebec (Montreal OR Quebec City - maybe not, because we've all been before)
- Prince Edwary County, Ontario (close to home, but still an interesting place)
- New Orleans
- Texas (San Antonio And/or Austin)

.... any suggestions, comments on these places, etc!?

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Just spent 2 interesting days in San Antonio with the Alamo, the Rriverwalk & River Center + the assorted museums it's not hard to fill a long weekend. That would be my vote as you've already done the QC thing.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Jbro33

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Hi there!

My vote is Austin for sure. I use to live there and I think in my opinion it is a wonderful city for a girls weekend. It is called hill country, there are a lot of vinyards, a few spas. The music scene is amazing lots of concerts and such.

The down side is it is Austin and American Football will be going on The University of Texas is a huge school and if they are having a home game it can be a little more... busy? not sure if that is the word I am looking for but it will do for now.

Sixth street is very college aged but I know plenty of people who go in there late 20s and have a great time, just make sure you go to a 21 and up bar cause if not you will have 18 year olds hitting on you. haha.

Oh as far as public transport Austin has a pretty good bus system that you can use if you don't want to drive.

Hope this helps!

Jbro33

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

I just re read what you posted. You don't like spas so sorry I mentioned that, but Austin is also the capital of TX so there is some history there not to mention San Antonio is about 100 miles away a very easy drive and it has a lot of History, battle of the Alamo and such. Ok hope this helps too.

Good luck and have fun!

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 19th, 2011
Really?! Texas gets two votes and nothing else?! TEXAS?! :shrug: Okay, well, I'm going to put in a strong vote for New Orleans. One of the most unique and interesting cities in the United States. It's the perfect long weekend getaway!!!

jessus

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

A lot of Texas fans here it seems ;) And Jbro, don't worry, I wasn't offended by your mention of spas!

And I've actually been to New Orleans (the others haven't) but LOVE it and want to go back.

More suggestions (or votes, ideas) welcome :D

bluebonnet21

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

I'm from Texas and I love the Austin area, but I think my vote is for New Orleans. The weather will be great in October too.
If I was you I would skip Bourbon altogether, but it is an experience so maybe just a quick walk, and grab a hand grenade to-go.
There's tons of great food (Jacques-Imo's Cafe is one of my faves), tons of live music (you might be there during voodoo fest depending on your weekend and even if not, Tipitana's has local bands every night and Les Bon Temps Roule on Magazine has Soul Rebels brass band every thursday), plenty of drinking, and there is no place as different as New Orleans.

Straum

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 30th, 2011
hahaha! I love it. Austin! Come on down. It's fantastic, you'll have a lot of fun, you'll meet a lot of wonderful people (it has the biggest University in the states with 50,000+ 20 something year olds so you'll be in good company), a fantastic night life. Plus, sounds like you guys haven't been before? And, November is the best time to visit temperature wise.

BUT, as a person that has lived in Austin for the majority of 12 years, I love the Victoria, British Columbia area and go up there every chance I get. Vancouver Island is luscious, absolutely supernatural. And if you guys are history-oriented, the Parliament buildings, castles, and historic buildings can't be beat in the area. The Royal BC Museum is there as well and it has great exhibits always. Yea, I love that area, but I'm from Texas ;).

I'd be happy to answer any Austin questions for ya.
Netherlands in April, Pacific Northwest in June, then on up to work at the family business, a Victoria BC hotel for tourist season... then a hop over to Montreal for the fall (hopefully)! A traveler's life for me!

jessus

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 31st, 2011
Straum wrote:hahaha! I love it. Austin! Come on down. It's fantastic, you'll have a lot of fun, you'll meet a lot of wonderful people (it has the biggest University in the states with 50,000+ 20 something year olds so you'll be in good company), a fantastic night life. Plus, sounds like you guys haven't been before? And, November is the best time to visit temperature wise.
BUT, as a person that has lived in Austin for the majority of 12 years, I love the Victoria, British Columbia area and go up there every chance I get. Vancouver Island is luscious, absolutely supernatural. And if you guys are history-oriented, the Parliament buildings, castles, and historic buildings can't be beat in the area. The Royal BC Museum is there as well and it has great exhibits always. Yea, I love that area, but I'm from Texas ;).
I'd be happy to answer any Austin questions for ya.

Nope, none of us have ever been to Texas, and I think it would definitely suit my "much different than here" priority!

I've only been as far West as Kelowna BC, and never made it all the way to the Pacific, so I've always liked the idea of making it to Vancouver Island. I'm not sure if any of my friends have been out there either.

The funny thing is, though, that it's actually about half the cost for us to fly to Texas (from Buffalo or Detroit, each an easy drive from one of us), than it is to stay in Canada and go East or West. I wish Canadian airfare wasn't so pricey!

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

So what about New York City or Boston? Both are considerably closer than Texas or New Orleans.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Corvinus wrote:So what about New York City or Boston? Both are considerably closer than Texas or New Orleans.

Mentioning NYC & Boston in the same sentence as Texas is just wrong! :evil:

FYI occasionally West Jet has some good prices, around $300 taxes in, on red eye flights Toronto to Victoria.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

jessus

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Corvinus wrote:So what about New York City or Boston? Both are considerably closer than Texas or New Orleans.

Ah, three of us actually went to New York City 3 years ago. And I've been there other times. Boston, well, because it hadn't even occurred to me. Why Boston?

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 1st, 2011
Oooh! Boston! Great idea!

jessus wrote:Why Boston?

Boston is a great city full of all sorts of cool things to do. My personal recommendation would be visiting the historical places incorporated in "The Freedom Trail", but there's everything from museums to sports to famous universities. Plus, public transportation is very good there with the light rail system and the actual historical town is very accessible on foot. Here's a link to the city's website which includes a link to the Freedom Trail information: http://www.cityofboston.gov/visitors/thingstodo.asp

Haci Richard

Jackson's Dad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 1st, 2011
You could just go across the border to the Finger lakes Region of New York.

There are lots of historical places related to the Underground Railroad, Women's Rights, etc and there are tons of wineries to visit -- there are even tours encompassing several of them. Most towns seem to have places where surprisingly talented local musicians play. Another thing is that there are several minor league baseball teams in the area.

Return to USA & Canada Travel