Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Looking for a specific backpack...

DanielX

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 18th, 2011
Hello all

I'm rather new here (basically just signed up...) - but I have been a backpacker for as long as I can remember.

For a good long time now - I guess like many others - I've been looking for *that* pack, unfortunately in vain as it seems.

What am I lookin' for?

- Panel / frontloader (please no "just side-access through a tiny zippered slash in the side of the pack"-pack...)
- Volume: 30-40 liters (35-40 pref.). (1800 cin. - 2500 cin)
- CONVERTIBLE... I want the harness to be either removable or "stow-away" type and yet the harness should be GOOD for some hikes... again a 40liter max I am not going to load the elephant and the dog in there... yet the harness & removable / stowaway waist-belt should be fit to be really used.
- not too many pockets
- STURDY Stuff only (I don't want fragile zippers or mesh webbing everywhere ...)
- Compression straps...
- nice shoulder-strap & hand-grips for when the harness isn't in use.
- Carry on size.
- plain looking (no big brands or logos all over, uniform dark color (black, gray, green,...)

Anyone?

A few things on a side-note:
I'm about 5'9 (175cm)...
I pack light - I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to packing and my kit is usually small... so more than 40liters is just too larger for my purposes...

Cost: to be honest - it's not too important... whilst I am not rich by any means I have over the years bought so many packs and never found what I was looking for that one more or less honestly doesn't matter ;)

If there are no off the shelf packs fitting my needs - are there any GOOD custom pack makers out there?

Thanks...

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 18th, 2011
How about the Macpac Koru? It's grey in the pic but comes in black. http://www.macpac.co.nz/shop/en_nz/gear ... 11679.html

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 19th, 2011
How about the Kathmandu Litehaul? They are currently on sale too. The small version is 38L.

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/Packs_&_Lug ... Pack.html#

Seawitch

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 21st, 2011
My vote is for the MacPac - we have 2 old old ones that have held us in good stead and fit your description.

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 21st, 2011
Seawitch wrote:My vote is for the MacPac - we have 2 old old ones that have held us in good stead and fit your description.

I can also verify Macpacs last. My husband and I bought one each when we married in 1990 - yes, two decades ago. They are still going strong. In 2008 - 18 years after purchase - Macpac honoured their lifetime warranty by providing new harnesses as they had begun to perish.

mas que amigos

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 14th, 2011
give the osprey porter 46 a try. 6L more though.

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets