Discuss a good book to read on a trip or movies that make you long to be on the road. Share your recommendations for music - both your old favorites and the new ones you discovered overseas. Brag about run-ins with the hottest upcoming bands.

Looking for book suggestions

Tiki-Phil

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 25th, 2010
Hello - I will be hiking for a couple weeks in New Zealand and wanted to take the opputunity to read (which I NEVER have the chance to do). So I was looking for suggestions..keeping in mind I'll have it in a pack, so no huge novels or something super long, something paperback and shorter.....something appropriate for where Ill be would be awsome! Involving adventure, wilderness maybe? Like I was saying, I own a small restaurant/tiki bar so I NEVER get the chance to enjoy a book, unfortunatley, so as far as a suggestion, I'm WIDE open on whatever-
Thanks for any suggestions!
Phil
Hey if you send me a book Ill send you a tiki mug and some tiki stuff! just message me

zhinnn

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 25th, 2010
It's not related to New Zealand, but you might check out Matsuo Basho's "Oku no Hosomichi" if you want an interesting read.

It's a travel journal kept by the poet as he walked a thousand miles around Japan. A nice balance of prose and poetry. Since it's a journal it is short and the entries are small enough to read in a matter of minutes. I recommend Dorothy Britton's translation.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/A-Haik ... hy+britton
"And so I too- for how many years- drawn by a cloud wisp wind, have been unable to stop thoughts of rambling." - Matsuo Basho

Wild Jasmyne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 26th, 2010
Video Night in Kathmandu by Pico Iyer is great because its basically longer short-stories on different countries where he visited (8 I think) across the world. The recurring theme was that wherever he went "Rocky" with Syvester Stallone was playing which was a strange.

I really enjoyed Zahara which was a true crazy tale of some British sailors who got marooned in Mauritania and became captives of the Touaregs who made them walk across the sahara desert. It's a good man book. So is Lost in Mongolia about a rafter who went to chart an unknown river only to get lost in the middle, pretty quick read too but also interesting.

Also Into the Wild and Into Thin Air both by Jon Krakauer are great manly books about travelling. Both end quite depressingly but they are great quick travel reads.

Bill Bryon's "In a Sunburned Country" tells about his travels through Australia.

None of those are New Zealand but they are all pretty good travel reads, great for a few days on a beach.

mwithanastasia

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 26th, 2010
You could always take a few of Ngaio Marsh's mysteries with you! Not all of them are set in New Zealand, but they're all very good (and short). The ones that are set in NZ are Vintage Murder, Colour Scheme, and Died in the Wool, by the way.

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 2nd, 2011
What I would recommend are some of the old Oxford World's Classics hardbacks. They're all 4 x 6 inches and printed on ultra-thin (but strong) paper. They include most classics written in the English language plus hundreds of works in translation.

Return to Travel-Related Books, Music & Movies