Figure out the best way to get from Central to South America, when you should book your accommodations for Carnaval and local language school recommendations. If it's on South America, it's in this forum.

Lost Yellow Card (Proof of Immunization) - Copy Ok?

ChicagoJamie

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 30th, 2010
I lost my original yellow card (showing proof of yellow fever and other vaccinations/immunizations). I have a photocopy scanned into my email. I will be traveling through all of Central America (Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama), and then along the Western and Southern sides of South America (Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina). Does anyone have any experience with this or know which countries require a yellow card for entry?

I will be leaving Guatemala for Belize in a couple of days, so any quick responses would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 1st, 2010
I have never been asked for one in CA but have yet to visit SA.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Bystander

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

A copy won't be accepted if required for entry. You need it for Bolivia but not Argentina (recommended for Iguazeu but not required) or Perú. I don't know about Ecuador. You may or may not be asked for it when entering Bolivia, but it is on their list of requirements. Some have said you can sign a waiver at the border, but it might be risky relying on that information as it may vary from border point to border point. One option might be to get again somewhere at the beginning of your trip. It takes 10 days to become valid. The other option is to see if the place you originally got it can issue a copy.
The CDC website has all the information about where you need to present it.
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/ ... fever.aspx

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I've never been asked for a yellow card in Central America, nor was it an issue in Venezuela or Peru.

Not sure about bolivia.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

Hein van Oosten

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 3rd, 2010
You will not have a problem entering Peru because they never ask for it.
Long ago in Liberia, Africa, a helpful medical person at the airport gave me a new yellow international certificate based on the information I gave verbally. Maybe in some country you could try to get a new certificate from them on the basis of the evidence of the photocopy.

Alyssa-MV

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 5th, 2010
They ask for it in Brazil. I'm not sure if a copy will work, but if it doesn't you may take it again while in South America, and it's not terribly expensive. I also lost it and had to have the Yellow Fever shot again just a year after my previous shot to go to Tambopata and it was okay.

jonnydakota

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 9th, 2011
never asked for it once while traveling sa for 8 months. that being said i dont think i would risk not having it considering the pain in the ass it would be to get denied entry.

Return to South America Travel