With loads of useful info on climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, overland travel and wild animal safaris, the Africa forum is the place to discuss the dark continent.

Low-cost Serengeti Safari?

booniesbill

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 5th, 2005
My girlfriend and I will be climbing Mt Kilimanjaro in July and afterward we wanted to hop over to the Serengeti and check it out.

I'm trying to find a low cost way to explore the Serengeti. I hear you can just rent a car and explore it yourself. Is that adviseable, or a bad idea? If it is a bad idea, what would be a good/cheap safari company to look into?

Also, where's a cheap place to stay over by the Serengeti?

Any advise regarding traveling to/in the Serengeti would be very helpful! Thanks!

Donovan

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Hi
You can't explore the Serengetti yourself. It's against the law, you have to have a registered Tanzanian guide.

And, traveling in/to the Serengetti is not cheap. A typical camping safari is about $120 per day, per person.

Donovan

achnab

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

HI
As Donovan pointed out it is not cheap, but can be affordable if you you do a camping safari, which is the cheapest option.
Re renting a vehicle, that is one of the most exspensive options, and not the best one has to say, the advantage of having a local guide is enormous, they know where the wildlife is to be found the social habits of the wildlife, local history and culture of the different tribes (120 in Tanzania)and a good guide will be a large part of your safari and make it all the more special.
Be careful in your choice of operator, a good place to check out any prospective company is either the Association of Tanzanian tour operators "Tato" or the Tourist board.
Based in the heart of Tanzania's northern circuit Arusha.

David Rodes

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 19th, 2011
Hi,
Thanks for sharing the information.....Africa safaris are great to have a visit..they are truly a worth visit place..there are many things to see there.i have not yet been to this safari but would like to have a trip.This will help me lot.thanks for sharing a informative post..:)
For beautiful African Safari : African Safari and African Safaris.

Return to Africa Travel