Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Luggage Security and lost bags!

explorer4

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: lost luggage, security when travelling, luggage protection
  • Added on: March 5th, 2010
Hey, I am about to embark on a trip to South America!
My last trip to Brazil a few years ago resulted in my baggage being lost for 5 days!
I don't want the same to happen this time around and have been told about 'Globalbagtags' ... I think they are an amazing invention! A fellow traveller is using one at the moment he is in India embarking on his RTW trip!

Just wanted to pass on this unique product to anyone interested, and also wondered if anyone is using them currently?

Hana

AceTracer

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 5th, 2010
So let me get this straight; I pay a company $24 and they send me tags with a serial number on it. Someone finds my bag, goes to a website, types in the serial number, and they get my contact information (for up to one year, $8 for every additional year)?

How is this better than just putting my contact info on my bag for free?

Scritch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 6th, 2010
I think the idea is that the tags themselves are sturdy, and because you maintain an account with Globaltags, it's easy enough to update contact information if you need to. If, say, you change residences or move, or even are just traveling long-term, resulting in a changed phone number, email, etc. Also, it hopefully avoids just putting your contact information out there for anyone to casually see, as opposed to looking up your phone number on the site via a serial number. And they claim its set up so that airport personnel could in theory forward your luggage by looking up your itinerary.

From the website:

Why not just write my name and address on my bags?

For security reasons you are strongly advised not to openly display your name and address details on your luggage. If you lose a bag on your outward journey you do not want your bags sent back home if you are not there. The globalbagtag.com system allows the airlines and other select organisations to view your itinerary and forward your baggage to a suitable destination.

I don't know if I'd use it, but it's an interesting an relatively cheap service.

AceTracer

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2010
Relatively cheap? I can set up a free website with my contact information and itinerary, which I can change at any time, and put that URL on my bag. $0 is cheaper than $24.

The only way I can see this being effective is if they offered some kind of insurance policy, reward, and/or shipping voucher.

Ideally you should be able to buy these tags for $24 and if someone finds your lost bag, they'll read the tag and visit the website where they can print out a shipping label, mail it, and receive their reward when the bag is satisfactorily returned.

Scritch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Well, the tags are stainless steel. Which you might not need, but if a person were interested, $24 is probably about what a set of tags would cost.

Not everyone is comfortable or capable of creating a website with their contact information on it. For those who aren't, $8 a year probably isn't a large expense for a small amount of peace of mind. And there's a dozen reasons why an automatic system involving your address might be not be ideal, from not having one, to not being able to retrieve it immediately, or changing it often, or even giving any random person who checks out your tag your address instead of just a phone number.

If we're going to take convenience out of the picture, almost any specialized travel accessory is unnecessary. From netbooks to quick-drying clothing. But lots of people are very satisfied with their eeePCs and Icebreaker boxer-briefs, despite the added cost. And other people do fine without. Explorer was just sharing a product he/she finds interesting, and requesting feedback from anyone currently using the system.

AceTracer

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I have no problems paying a premium for a premium item. $18 is a lot of money for a pair of underwear, but it's also the best pair of underwear I'll likely ever own and it's not something I can make myself.

The same cannot be said for this service, which I am concerned is ripping people off.

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets