Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Macbook Air or Netbook?

dove518

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 12th, 2011
my ipad will not be took out when i was traveling. I just need to bring something to write (blogs or the Great American Novel) and burn DVD photo backups to mail home. I don't really need much in the way of power or thin like macbook.i got a light and small one unfamous brand netbook. that's all i need to take out when traveling. :lol:

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 12th, 2011
FYI, I just met a woman traveling with a mac air and she HATED it. The footprint was too big and there weren't enough USB ports. After 15 minutes playing on my netbook she decided to sell her mac to get one like mine and use the extra cash to fund her next trip. :)
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 13th, 2011
My ACER Aspire just died, :( have to take it to the 'puter hospital in San Salvador for a diagnosis/ check prices on a replacement, if too deer, will pick one up in the US in a couple weeks at the start of my next trip. Can't imagine traveling without an ACER. :shock:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Scritch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Asus just released the EEE PC 1215B, which is the internal guts equivalent to the HP DM1Z, with the AMD Fusion processor/3D graphics combination.

Both computers sport pretty impressive benchmarks for a compromise thin and light 12" laptop. They play HD video flawlessly, even streaming. And they can play older games like Modern Warfare 2 on the lower settings (although newer games like Black Ops will start to choke/chug on it). That's pretty damn good.

The benchmarks are comparable to my 2009 Macbook Pro, and only fall short in the CPU department (compared to my 2.2 ghz Core 2 Duo). Graphics wise, they actually surpass my 2009 Macbook Pro. That's more than enough horsepower to do multimedia work or video editing on the go. And all for under $500.

I was wrong about having a CD/DVD drive though. Plenty of ports, however, including video out.

annz

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

vagabondette74 wrote:FYI, I just met a woman traveling with a mac air and she HATED it. The footprint was too big and there weren't enough USB ports. After 15 minutes playing on my netbook she decided to sell her mac to get one like mine and use the extra cash to fund her next trip. :)

This is great. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking if I made the right choice with my acer because it's slower compared to my mac but it's really really light plus I bought it at a bargain so I wouldn't feel awful if it gets lost and the usb ports were also my problem with the MBA.. Glad to have made the right choice. Thanks for the input! Oh and btw, I saw on one of the threads you have the gregory jade! I have the same pack and I really like it! It's so comfy too! :)
Last edited by annz on April 13th, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

annz

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:My ACER Aspire just died, :( have to take it to the 'puter hospital in San Salvador for a diagnosis/ check prices on a replacement, if too deer, will pick one up in the US in a couple weeks at the start of my next trip. Can't imagine traveling without an ACER. :shock:

oh no! I also got the ACER aspire netbook.. I like that it's really light.. Hopefully it will be okay for a year of RTW.. Maybe you're better off getting a new one.. Good luck!! :)

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

annz wrote:
busman7 wrote:My ACER Aspire just died, :( have to take it to the 'puter hospital in San Salvador for a diagnosis/ check prices on a replacement, if too deer, will pick one up in the US in a couple weeks at the start of my next trip. Can't imagine traveling without an ACER. :shock:

oh no! I also got the ACER aspire netbook.. I like that it's really light.. Hopefully it will be okay for a year of RTW.. Maybe you're better off getting a new one.. Good luck!! :)

Have had it since Feb 09 & it's been around the world from Greenland to Tibet to Borneo, OZ & Alaska. 8-) Love it but saw an add for them at Target for $199 so won't spend much on it.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

MrPlow42 wrote:Yes, netbooks are slow. They're also carried by most of the travelers I see. One needs to adapt one's expectations and usage to the hardware.

I think this is the main point in this thread. If you're a Mac user, you need to give yourself plenty of time to accommodate a different software environment. Microsoft has its points (I've been using it for three decades), but it's like learning a different language.

travel droppings

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Yes, people do have their opinions when it comes to travel computers, but I still stand by my Mac. I have been using one for a while now for work and will not go back. Luckily I am a freelancer so my mac was a tax write off.

On the road I use photoshop and Dreamweaver and can use Final Cut Pro or Premiere if any of those jobs come up. I just dont like the feel of small cheap computers and I like being able to do some real work on it if need be.
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

Scritch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 14th, 2011
travel droppings wrote:Yes, people do have their opinions when it comes to travel computers, but I still stand by my Mac. I have been using one for a while now for work and will not go back. Luckily I am a freelancer so my mac was a tax write off.

On the road I use photoshop and Dreamweaver and can use Final Cut Pro or Premiere if any of those jobs come up. I just dont like the feel of small cheap computers and I like being able to do some real work on it if need be.

If you need Mac specific software, that makes sense. But otherwise, "real work" can be done on any number of lightweight laptops.

With the new wave of low power multi-core processors paired with discrete graphics even in 12" and sub-12" laptops, processor or graphics intensive work can easily be done on a netbook. Those AMD Fusion processors paired with ATI graphics are impressive, but the Intel Atom processors paired with NVIDIA ION 2 graphics are nipping at their heels in the lightweight category, and surpassing them in full-size 15" laptops.

Like I said, that new EEE PC matches my 2009 dual-core Macbook Pro unibody in almost every benchmark. And beats it in a few, to boot. Even if it's 2 years old, my Macbook is far from obsolete. And I love my Macbook, but the things are heavy (if you don't have the Air, they clock in at 5 lbs minimum.)

mas que amigos

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 14th, 2011
i've traveled with my macbook air for 2 years now, through central & south america and SEA. never was worried about someone stealing it. and never regretted bringing it.

Previous

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets