Discussion forum for folks interested in climbing Africa's highest mountain.

machame vs. lemosho

Katalini

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 4th, 2007
We're in the planning stages of our Kili climb, and we're trying to figure out which route is best. Lemosho is appealing since it sounds less-traveled, but it seems like only the pricier outfits do it. Does anyone have an words of wisdom regarding Lemosho vs. Machame? Also, is it pretty easy to book a trip once you get there vs. in advance? We'd like to save money, but we also want to make sure we have a quality experience. We'll be climing sometime in late August/early September. Thanks!

Evil Homer

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 3rd, 2007
Hi Katalini,

Personally, I am going the Lemosho route, both for the less travelled reason you mention, but also because it mostly involves a longer trek. This is a huge difference as it allows more time to acclimatise, which in turn gives you a much better chance of summiting.

Having spent all that money getting there and paying for the climb, it seems a shame not to give yourself the greatest success chance just to save a few quid.

There are a couple of reasons that only the "pricier" outfits do it, the principle one being that it costs them more as follows;

There is half a days drive to Landrossi to register and get going, which is much further than any other route other than Rongai.
It mostly involves an over night stay at crater camp, which means the porters have to trek higher and stay overnight at altitudes they would not have to on other routes, so they get paid a small premium for this.
Finally, as the trek is normally over more days than the other routes, you have to pay extra days salaries for your guide, porters etc., extra food and most expensively of all extra days Park Fees.

I hope this helps.

Evil H

Anisa

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 21st, 2007
We did Rongai and it was amazing - you have a view of Kili the entire way. Its a bit of a drive to get out there but in view, was completely worth it.

Steve in MN

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 23rd, 2007
I am doing the Lemosho - Lava Tower route with Tusker in September. With Tusker, they spread out the trip longer with Lemosho vs Machame (12-13 days vs 9-10) and we will spend the night in the crater rather than hiking at night.

I have a question that is a little off-point, but I don't think it is worthy of it's own thread ... Does anyone know where the drinking water comes from? It seems the guide services boil and/or filter the water for clients to use. Is this water they haul up? Or do they plan the routes so as to hit a couple of springs on the way up? Just wondering.

Evil Homer

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

I believe that it's glacial meltwater coming down from above the snowline.

If the stories are to be believed in about ten years time, they will have to haul all their own water up......

Steve in MN

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Thanks Evil.

Return to Mt Kilimanjaro