Figure out the best way to get from Central to South America, when you should book your accommodations for Carnaval and local language school recommendations. If it's on South America, it's in this forum.

Machu Picchu and Salar de Uyuni

LolaVT312

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 20th, 2012
Hi Everyone! Long time no post. I'm wondering if it's possible to do Machu Picchu in Peru and the Bolivian Salt Flats in one 10 day vacation. Fly into Peru, leave from Bolivia. While probably do-able, I don't want to be so busy getting where I'm gong I miss things like Lake Titicaca, La Paz, or whatever un-missable things I'd be missing. I've recently joined the corporate world, and while this whole paid vacation thing is fantastic, my feet are gettin' itchy. I'm thinking of doing this is mid to late April. Please, I welcome any and all feedback on any part of this idea. These are two places that are very high up on my list of Must-See's, but if you have a better suggestion of a 10 day vacation (preferably in Spanish speaking countries as I miss the language terribly) I'm totally open. Gracias!
-------------------------------------
There are only two emotions in a plane: boredom and terror. ~Orson Welles

http://lolawanders.blogspot.com/

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 21st, 2012
Hard to say without more info. How do you plan to get from place to place? Bus? Plane? Teleportation?

zoomcharlieb

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 21st, 2012
You will need at least 3 to 4 days days to just get to Machu Pichu. One day to Lima, the next morning to Cuzco, then you almost faint from the altitude adjustment, but saying you can get your bearings in one day in Cuzco, the next day by train to Aguas Calientes (the base town of Machu Pichu). then the next morning to Machu Pichu and you could catch a train leaving back to Cuzco that same afternoon, having bought your tickets back the previous day on arrival at AC. So you are now day 4, afternoon back in Cuzco, and you have passed up the chance to visit Ollantaytambo, or Pisac which should be seen and would take another day or two, however, lets say you do those for 2 days, you then can fly to wherever is next on your agenda, that being roughly day 6. I would suggest next visit Areuquipa (myself I haven't seen it yet, but it and the colca canyon, and Ayacucho are next on my list this coming June. In fact, I recommend a book just out on the WARI civiliztion, put out by the Cleveland art museum. I coughed up around $70 to get the hardbound edition and it truly is an heirloom book with thick paper, well written, and great pictures of this civilization that was running the show around 600 to 1000 AD. The quality of their pottery and the patterns in their textiles is really modernist. The Cleveland art Museaum is hosting the first ever exhibit of this civiliztion. Needless to say, I'm not rushing off to the garden spot of Cleveland in my lifetime, having heard it was the armpit of the world, so i invested in the book instead. I can't get excited about the salt flats myself, it sounds like a lot of riding in a probably cramped car but I would suggest Nasca, which is on my list also and would be closer to the other areas I mentioned. I don't know anything about telporting, but EMH sometimes doesn't take his happy pills and would rather ask a thousand questions then offer any advice.

EMH

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 22nd, 2012
Just to clarify, I've never taken happy pills in my life though perhaps that's the source of my problems. :lol:

As for asking question without offering advice, I think that's a LOT more helpful then sending people somewhere that they didn't ask to be sent. They already know where they want to go and it's NOT Arequipa.

BTW, teleportation is great, you should try it some time!

zoomcharlieb

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 27th, 2012
There are all kinds of mind altering drinks, smokes, and pills, plus of course the self induced mind alterering mind tripping, yoga, hypnosis, etc., and i supposed some forms of teleportation is fine also. I wouldn't say it is a sign of mental or emotional strength or character to choose one form over another.
But late in life, I discovered that a little pill sometimes smooths over the rough spots, when for no particular reason i seem to vexating myself about somthing I usually have no control over anyway. You pick your poison, as they say.

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 28th, 2012
zoomcharlieb wrote:There are all kinds of mind altering drinks, smokes, and pills, plus of course the self induced mind alterering mind tripping, yoga, hypnosis, etc., and i supposed some forms of teleportation is fine also. I wouldn't say it is a sign of mental or emotional strength or character to choose one form over another.
But late in life, I discovered that a little pill sometimes smooths over the rough spots, when for no particular reason i seem to vexating myself about somthing I usually have no control over anyway. You pick your poison, as they say.

Just move to the tropics, you will find there is no need for mind altering pills, that said there is a certain blue pill that comes in handy on occasion. :)
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Return to South America Travel