Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Malaysia in late June/early July 2011

d3dkat

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: malaysia, Kuantan, kuala lumpur, vipassana, singapore
  • Added on: May 27th, 2011
I'll be traveling from Australia to Malaysia on June 23rd will be attending a Vipassana meditation course on the 6th of July in Kuantan.

Any suggestions for where to stay and things to see and do while before the retreat? I'm thinking of spending a few days in Kuala Lumpur and then heading to the beach in Kuantan. Possibly thinking of going to Singapore or up to Bangkok for a few days.

Thanks!

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 28th, 2011
KL is a wonderful place to visit for a few days to a week.

I recommend the Caves as the best thing about the city, besides the excellent chinese food and the Petronas towers. It's a Buddhist temple, by the way, so you might be even more interested. Just DON'T feed the sacred monkeys!!! They attack you for the rest of your food.

I liked Malacca better as a working city. Its interesting and has a nice small city feel combined with a fascinating history.

If you want an interesting time, a unique time, think about a week in Taman Negara national park. It has a very interesting jungle and a quiet, introspective nature that is also very friendly. Beautiful little bungalows and a nice climate, at least

It is also stunningly beautiful, with real restaurants floating on barges on a tropical river. On this river you can go tubing and all kinds of things.

If you want cool and interesting, try the tea-plantation highlands.

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 29th, 2011
To answer the other part of your question, Singapore would be much closer if you were looking for a new place to check out for a short time. I certainly prefer Bangkok to Singapore, but for the time it sounds like you have, you'd lose a few days in the traveling if you tried to get all the way up there and back.

Another option would be to head up into Thailand to the Krabi area and hang out there. A little farther than Singapore, but a much nicer option than Singapore, in my opinion.

Return to Asia Travel