Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling the east coast of Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

Melbourne Alone

aussiegirl

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Tags: melbourne
  • Added on: February 16th, 2011
I'd like to drive to Melbourne from Adelaide, alone. It'd be my first trip away by myself, but I want to do it. It'd just be for a long weekend I think.

In which area should I look for a place to stay? It'd need to have carparking available, though I won't be using the car often, so I'd like it to be near to public transport too.

Anything I should consider, taking into account I'm 25, have anxiety about a lot of things, and haven't done this sort of thing before? How should I go about planning this?
http://www.notebookinhand.com - for writers, artists, musicians and actors.

HooleyHoop

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 17th, 2011
Hi aussiegirl,

Are you wanting to go the shortest route to Melbourne and spend the majority of time there or are you wanting to go via the Great Ocean Road?

I'll assume you are wanting to go straight through...

The route will be an easy drive going through plenty of towns along the way so no worries there. In terms of Melbourne itself, I'd suggest staying outside of the City itself and somewhere a but more accessible to vehicles such as South Yarra or St Kilda. St Kilda is the obvious choice as you get the beach life plus Melbournes excellent public transport services from buses to trams and trains. A daily MetCard pass will get you wherever you want to go.

For accomodation, EasyStay apartments are well priced, clean and most importantly secure. Most of the properties they have you cannot even get through the front gate without your room key. There are other smaller boutique hotels as well in this area around Fitzroy St and Acland St but they tend to be pricier. EasyStay apartments will most of the time have somewhere to park although I know the 5 Acland St property doesnt but there is a multi storey car park opposite. You'd have to pay all the charges however.

In terms of planning, look at google maps and work out the route you want to take. Like I say you could go direct in 8 or 9 hours or go via the Gt Ocean Road and take in some sights and make it into a two leg trip.

For hotes, a simple search on tripadvisor will always help and point out to saftey aspects for single travellers.

From there its more of a case of what do you want to do whilst you are there in order to make sure that you enjoy yourself :-)

There is honestly no reason to be anxious, the drive will be easy with plenty of populated places to stop and rest and Melbourne is a relaxed and friendly place.

Hope you have a nice time.

Chris

WomanSeeksWorld

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 5th, 2011
You will be absolutely fine! Australia is a freindly place with loads of people travelling solo like yourself, so you are bound to make lots of freinds along the way!

I would drive along the Great Ocean Rd - its absolutely stunning - the coastline is some of the best in the world, and theres lots of little towns to stay in along the way. I would recommend staying in Port Fairy for a night, and also Lorne - both are on the beach with great restaurants and geusthouses/hostels.

Enjoy it - you'll have a blast!
Im an Aussie living in London and have written a guide to help others doing the same.
Follow my adventures on the path to becoming a fully-fledged nomad.

Seawitch

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 5th, 2011
The great Ocean Road is stunning - but are you going for the shopping?

I've only stayed in the city and most things I wanted to see were accessible by tram or on foot.

meelsie

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2011
I would reccomend staying somewhere like St Kilda or South Yarra in Melbourne - probably South Yarra as St Kilda has some drug crime that might scare you if you're not the city girl type.

South Yarra is where Chapel Street - a great shopping area - is, with great nightlife and boutique shopping, and some fantastic cafe culutre once you go further down the strip towards the suburbs called Prahran and Windsor.

St Kilda is another great cafe/shopping area that's right on the beach. There is a a great pub called the espy that have bands every night and is right across from the beach. They do a parma and pot for $10 too! There is a little bit of seedy-ness around St Kilda as there are more junkies and homeless people than for example, South Yarra, but it depends if you think you will be scared on your own there. I feel fine walking around St Kilda but i'm from Melbourne so feel pretty safe everywhere.

Definitely drive along the Great Ocean Road. Stop in at Lorne if you can, see the remaining apostles and soak up some ocean air!

Good luck

Erika Ayala

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 19th, 2011
The best thing about Australia is the fact that you can go on an adventure without being frightened about your security.
I went to Australia, in Melbourne and Sydney, as a tourist. I was feeling some anxieties at first also. As days passed by, I realized that I shouldn't worry anymore. Everyone was so friendly, accommodating and helpful to me. Plus, it wasn't hard to get along since they speak English.

I don't know specifically where to stay because when I went, I just explored wherever is clean, cheap and near the malls. Try to go online and research for discount coupons also, if you want to save money on some establishments, like for restaurants, car rentals, theme parks, salon & spa, etc. I'm sure they will help your budget as you take your adventure in Australia :)

God bless!
It's for the Kids!! Support Adopt A School

peteop

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 24th, 2011
I would agree with WomanMeetsWorld and meelsie that you should stop by Lorne. I have some friends there who I stayed with for a week and it was one of the highlights of my 3 month trek through Oz. A few things I would recommend if you do decide to stop there, buy some sausages at the grocer and then grill them up at the public grills over looking the beach and on Saturday afternoons there is usually a footy (Australian Rules Football) game at the local pitch that is really interesting to watch, at least of an American like me.
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. -Lao Tzu

Travel Photos
www.flickr.com/petepajor

Return to Australasia and the Pacific Islands Travel