Too often lumped in with North America, Mexico is a country that stands out on its own.

Mexico City Airport Status?

Nels

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 11th, 2011
Hi there!

Looks like to get the best flight for my travels I need to have a 7 hour delay in Mexico City Benito Juarez International Airport (MEX). I am just wondering what the airport is like and if a single white female will be safe/relatively comfortable there for the delay.

Thanks,

Nels

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

What time of day are the 7 hours you will spend at the airport? Unless it's in the middle of the night I can't imagine you'd have trouble finding safe places to hang out in. If you are especially concerned, and prepared to shell out some cash, you could always look for airline business lounges and sit there. You get wifi, snacks, drinks (sometimes alcoholic) and comfortable sitting areas. For example, United's RCC in Mexico City costs $35 (online, $50 if you buy it at the door).
Looking for a travel deal? deals.BootsnAll.com
Support a developing world entrepreneur. Join the BootsnAll Kiva Group

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I don't see any problems with a 7 hour layover in Mexico city airport unless its at 1 am -8am, then maybe the overpriced restaurants will be closed so you can't get a cup of coffee and sit for hours.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 14th, 2011
Seven hours at MEX is unfortunate, in that it might not be enough time to visit the city. The airport is within Mexico City limits, but traffic there can be horrendous. Depending on time of day, you might be able to take a taxi into Centro Historico for a stroll around the Zocalo. You can buy a voucher for a taxi at one of the booths on the way out of the terminal - to Zocalo should be 150 pesos or so. If traffic's light, it'll take you maybe 30 minutes to arrive. Be sure to take a sitio taxi back to the airport - ask someone in a hotel or cafe to call one for you. Many of the VW taxis you can hail off the street are taxis, and will take you for a figurative ride.

Otherwise, the airport is modern and safe, and you won't have anything to worry about there.

Return to Mexico Travel