Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Mexico to Austin

Adventurefoxx

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 30th, 2007
Hi, Im looking for any information about travel from the Mexico side into Austin, TX. I have been backpacking up from Central America and would like to stay on the ground to get back home, but cant seem to find any leads on how to do this in the safest, most enjoyable manner.

Let me know if anyone has experience,

AFxx

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

I'm confused about where you are currently.

Anyway, you just need to take a bus through Nuevo Laredo/Laredo, TX and on to Austin. There should be plenty. If you're lucky, you might even be able to get and stay on a Mexican Bus Company bus all the way into Austin. If you're not lucky, you'll likely have to switch to Greyhound when you cross into the U.S. Just google "Austin Mexico Bus" or some such.

Also, this site has lots of good info on busses within Mexico, and busses that go back and forth between Mexico and the US.

HampdenHoop

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I was looking into the same journey in the reverse direction yesterday. Here is one link and another with some information on cross border bus services. They repeat some of what is on the Larpman site. If you track down one of these companies in Mexico, it seems like you should be able to travel straight through to Austin. Autobuses Americanos appear to be a popular choice.

Marisa

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

There are Mexican busses that go to Austin. I took Americanos, going through Monterrey and through Nuevo Laredo/Laredo, San Antonio, then Austin (stay with same bus throughout). If you go with a Mexican bus company, they tend to stop/end at their own stations (usually on the east side of town).

When I was doing research on getting to and from Mexico by bus from Austin, I found a lot of info on this guy's blog. It's for info from Austin, but you can check out the companies and check out their services in Mexico for the reverse trip. It has addresses of where the bus companies are located (ie. where the final destination is in Austin).
- Mexican bus service, part I
- Mexican bus service, part II
- Mexican bus service, part III
Mexican bus service, part IV

Hope this helps!

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Are you in Oaxaca? It's about six hours from Oaxaca City to DF by bus. From there, it's about another 14-16 on Turistar (deluxe) or Transportes del Norte (1st class) to Nuevo Laredo, where you'll cross the border. You can catch a Greyhound in Laredo, although I don't know how much longer it'll take from there to Austin.

Count on about $100 (US) from Oaxaca City to Nuevo Laredo; more like $140 if you take the Turistar between DF and the border.

Bideshi

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 4th, 2007
I'll echo what has already been said. LOTS of options. The closer you get to the border, the broader your options. Monterrey is a great place to get the full spectrum of choices. I also went that route and crossed with Autobuses Americanos. It was fine. Marisa is right, though, the Mexican busses DO stop at an office in Austin that seemed to be pretty far from the center, although I'm not that familiar with Austin.

Are you in a hurry? If not, there are lots of great places to see on your way from Oaxaca to Austin. Lots of different routes and destinations for whatever you're into. Good luck!

Return to USA & Canada Travel