A place for geezers, grey hairs, and oldies to discuss independent travel. Reminisce about travel in the days before Lonely Planet and discuss issues applicable to the mature traveller.

Mid-40s -- Taking a Gap Year

Conti

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 31st, 2007
I think it's great when older people get out and explore the world. That's what my parents want to do.

Comenius

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 14th, 2007
I'm closing in on 40 sooner than I might realize, and I've really been toying with the idea of taking an extended time off and traveling. It's something I've put off for a number of years in order to do the good citizen routine in corporate land. I don't have any regrets, but I definitely want to push out and go before too much longer! Smile

midlifetravel

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 20th, 2007
I turned 45 on the road in Australia - both my partner and I have chucked in good paying jobs in IT. When we need money again we will need to work but I hope never to work in the IT corporate wasteland again!

Lis
Travel for the Over 30's

Skyehiker

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 9th, 2007
Well, I'm well into my little spanish immersion experience, and I am absolutely, positively glad I'm doing this. It has it's "growth" moments to be sure. I really like the exercise my brain is getting in having to rethink things....the same kind of feeling your body gets after one of those workouts that practically wears you out but feels awesome. I find myself even giving occasional thought to what it would take to move here....

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

Chillg8r

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 22nd, 2007
When I was 44, in 2000, my wife and I quit our jobs, put some of our stuff in storage, rented our house fully furnished, took our 9 year old out of school and took a year off to travel the world. We had many concerns before we left and they all proved unfounded for us. We had the best year of our lives BY FAR! The only challenge was the 'retox' upon returning home.

Our friends and family, for the most part, thought we were crazy but now we are their heros and they tell everyone about us; the family that dared to do this.

Go For It!

2gowhere?

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 23rd, 2007
Well Skyehiker, I'm so glad to hear you followed thru on your plans and seem well-adjusted to the current situation. I don't think it matters whether it's a gap 'year' or 'summer' or whatever. It's being able to get outside yourself...away from your comfort zone, and be willing to take the 'dare' from yourself to do the traveling. I'm heading off to what I've considered my first solo; but just realized that I soloed last winter for 4 months (tho' not abroad) and did just fine (thank you very much)...knew no one, went everywhere...just didn't think of it as 'travel' since it was in U.S. (sorta).
Whatever our age, travel is enlightening, frees us from our past, focuses us on our present, and opens our future.
To all of us who dream, plan, do, or simply hope to do - that's what counts...we look forward, not back.

Skyehiker

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

"Looking forward"...that's the key.
Am def. glad I did it. And, am already looking at next summer....would possibly do it all over again, only stay the whole summer, or who knows. Might not plan it out too much yet, but see what the fall brings.

It's funny how doing this sort of thing in some ways feeds that hunger, yet in many others, only makes you want to to do it more!

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

2gowhere?

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

I wonder what became of Pelke, the OP on this thread...he was hoping for July '06 or '07.....

'where have all the flowers gone?' What's happened to those who posted on this thread? What's happened in your lives, where are you in your plans/dreams? Are you out there doing the trip, still planning it, budgeting? What???

Drop back in and update the thread...and welcome to new 'gap' period posters to elaborate your plans/dreams/wishes. This is the place!

zoinks

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 27th, 2007
We took a year off 6 years ago when I was aged 42 and travelled rtw with my wife and three kids (then 13/11/8)

Strange thing - I expected problems getting the kids reestablished, but they were back into routine within a few weeks of school starting. The hardest thing on our return was actually finding my feet again and getting my nose back to the grindstone. I'm not sure if it is a spirit of wanderlust or if I have become less materialistic than I used to be.

KVOM

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 31st, 2007
Now retired (age 58), I had a series of jobs that provided many opportunities for international travel. In 1998 at the age of 48 I was doing a boring consulting job that required commuting to Boston every week in mid-winter. After 6 months I had had enough and booked a 6-week trekking trip to Tibet.

Since then I've taken two RTW trips using FF miles, both times returning to Nepal for trekking.

I didn't have to sell the house, and did leave the wife and kids behind. However, I think the time off travelling is beneficial to all of us.
=====
This space for rent

Kelly A.

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 27th, 2007
Hell, I'm just looking to take a gap week...

I'm busy working on a Masters in Education and those school breaks don't coincide with my work breaks (nice thing about teaching - you get "forced" vacations).

Hence, this December I want to make a power trip to Oz over Christmas when I don't have anything. It will only be for a week so I want to cram as much in as I can. I will be 47 and have very little traveling experience. I really want to see Oz (OK, I'm obsessed), though, and have dreams of working there after I retire (I can take early retirement a year from October). Or not...I know the rules are changing regarding work visas and age...

We never know when our time will be up. Ten years ago I didn't think I would make 40 and now I'm so looking forward to 50 because of all the crap I've dealt with in my 40's. The journey to recovery begins with a single step and life goes on. My bro passed away almost 2 years ago at the age of 44. Something like that is very humbling.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips on what I can do in 5 days and how I can do it cheaply, let me know. I assume backpacking means exactly that, except not in the woods as I'm more accustomed to.

Thanks, Kelly

Gary_RTW

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 28th, 2007
I'm a veritble youngster sneaking in under the radar on this thread but in total agreement with all those that are about too, or have already welcomed a spot of chaos theory and abandonmnet into their stable lives.

I'm nearly 37 and just about to start my 2nd Gap Year in my thirties. This travelling thing gets adictive, Gap Years should come with a world health warning, "warning, what your about to do is seriously good for your health and happiness".

Something tells me this isn't going to be my last either !?!
"if you never never go, you never never know" - wise words from THU of Cafe on THU Wheels, Hue

3goglobal

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 31st, 2007
Hi,

I have loved reading this post! I am pushing towards 40 and am about to start our 9 month rtw trip with my 2 kids (14/12). The hardest bit for me was making the decision to go but once that was done nothing has felt more right! I hope the kids learn so much about the world and we all learn about each other but am soooo excited as I am about to live my dream! Banana

Bittenbythebug

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 31st, 2007
My husband and I took a year off (2006-07) just to travel the US. I was 38 and he was 44. One day it struck me that I could either do it or die wanting to do it. My office gave me a one year leave and he's still trying to figure out what he want to do when he "grows up". We leased our house, furniture and all (things we loved we gave to friends and relatives to store for us). The year was the most amazing experience for us. We will never be the same which means we now spend out time trying to figure out how was can be full time travelers.
Never put off your dreams because none of us knows when our last day will be.

CAJ

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 5th, 2008
In the words of Ken Kesey, "Nothing lasts."

Not good times, not bad. Most of all, not us.

Better get out there and see it while we can.

CAJ
www.thewidewideworld.com
CAJ
www.thewidewideworld.com

PreviousNext

Return to Still Going...