Ask Bali fans for recommendations on everything from places to stay to top attractions to the best dentists. Learn about getting married in Bali, how to travel elsewhere in Indonesia and anything else about this island paradise.

Might be a B.S. Rumor but....

Darma1

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 17th, 2004
I heard from a Forum that the bali Post had an article saying that the VOA is not working & causing too much hassle, so it is to be cancelled as of March 1st. I received 4 SMS's yesterday from friends whom also read or heard the same news....
Today's forums say it is just a rumor that someone started...! Just thought I'd see if anyone has heard, read anything about it....!

Nick

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 18th, 2004
Haven't heard anything along those lines. I know the Justice minister likes the new system and the agreed time for reviewing the VOA is 6 months. There will probably be a change of government in the April election and that government will likely be looking for reliable revenue streams. The $25 a pop that foreigners contribute could be seen as a reliable revenue stream so the smart money is on there being no change for a while.

Nick O'Neill
http://www.BaliBlog.com
BootsnAll's guide to Bali

Jamo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 19th, 2004
Am I gonna have any trouble getting into Indonesia without onward plane tickets? My passport is Canadian and I should still have a decently full bank account upon arrival (sometime in June).

-ME
"Just giv'er"
-FUBAR

Darma1

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 19th, 2004
Yeah, I believe (could be wrong) that they will WANT to see an out going ticket...
This was the case even before the new visa rule. Maybe buy a 1 year one depending on your plans...

Jamo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 20th, 2004
Thanks, thats kinda what I figured but didn't want to commit myself to anything. I'll buy one to your country, I think they're gonna give me a holiday work visa.

-ME
"Just giv'er"
-FUBAR

Nick

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 22nd, 2004
Jamo, the rule is that you need an onward ticket. In practice they sometimes don't ask to see your ticket.

I have alnded before without an onward ticket and the officer told me it was a big deal. I passed him 100,000rp over the desk and he said okay no worries ("its enough, but next time put it in the passport".

I think that will usually be the case. If you get a salty offier you might have to buy an outgoing ticket on the spot or even get sent home. I think you'd be pretty unlucky to get sent home though.

Some airlines like Qantas won't allow you to board unless you have an onward ticket. You can get a fully refundable ticket.

Nick O'Neill
http://www.BaliBlog.com
BootsnAll's guide to Bali

Jamo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 23rd, 2004
Thanks man. So are all the people who do these big overland treks just bribing their way through every border? Or is it different for non-island nations? Also, what if you have I have a hoiday work visa? Am i gonna need to carry some plane ticket around with me for a year to get into the country (say, Aus 4 instance)? Were you hinting there that I could just buy a ticket and then get it refunded once I get there? BIg thanks to whoever answers some or all of these questions for me.

"Just giv'er"
-FUBAR
"Just giv'er"
-FUBAR

Jamo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Hey. package tourist. F**king A. (I'm assuming I'm supposed to throw asterix in, eh?)

"Just giv'er"
-FUBAR
"Just giv'er"
-FUBAR

Darma1

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Jamo,
What country do ytou have the working visa for? Surely it is not for Indonesia? So I guess it's for Australia???
It is probably easier to have a fully refundable outward ticket...
So where are you planning to go to, or do for work etc, etc?????

Jamo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Ya, Aus. Althogh I may have work I dont care If I get paid for in INdonesia, portering art around for my mom's friend who runs an import store in Vancouver. keeping my fingers crossed on that one, would be an amazing experience to tour art markets and brush up on my bartering skills without spending a dime. I figured once I got to OZ I'd just hitch and camp a bit till I find an area I like, and then I'm assuming it is not going to be too hard to find work. I've got a few years experience doing fine dining cooking (apprenticed at a Sheraton), am in pretty good shape and don't mind labor, and usually come off as tolerable if not entertaining. I've also got a degree in neuroscience with a 4.0 gpa, but I don't think I'm gonna find much short term work with that puppy. NOr do I really want to, I'm kinda trying to escape from the nerd stuff for a bit (Just gave my notice today in fact, been so stressed I could puke for the last week working up to it). So ya, thats about it. Wanna grab a beer when I get there?

"Just giv'er"
-FUBAR
"Just giv'er"
-FUBAR

Darma1

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Sounds like fun.... I hope the plans & finger crossing works out for you!

If you make it to Melb let me know... A beer is a good idea!

So how did your boss take it? Should not be too hard top find some work around Aust.

Good Luck!

Jamo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Thnx 4 the well wishes Darma. The boss took it pretty well actually. didn't like it 4 selfish reasons, but will still give me a reference and take me back in a snap once I get this vagabonding silliness out of my system (his worsd, not mine). I actually had forewarning that a couple of others from our lab are gonna be dropping the bomb this month, so I got mine in first (giving him him 9 weeks notice in the process). I'm sure that saved me the worst of the wrath. Its gonna really suck being here for that long with everyone pissed off at me for escaping first, but its done now so whatever.

"Just giv'er"
-FUBAR
"Just giv'er"
-FUBAR

Darma1

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Pissed off is not the correct term, I be;lieve JEALOUSY.... Is correct!!!!
I have friends that used to tell me I was chucking away my life & money by working my Ass off for 6 months of the year then living in Bali for 8 months or so.... But I now know that they were jealous, as they have less trhan me & no life experiences to go along with it, I have a great husband & gorgeous daughter, they are still working for the same dodgy company with no room for growth or getting higher, but they are stuck in their comfort zones!!! But they have spent every weekend at the loacal n/clubs looking for something or someone....
I have never & will never regret my travels & life experiences in Bali. Noone can ever ctake them from me & they were the highlight of my life (apart from my daughters birth & wedding days!) I can't wait to do it all again, I love being faced with choices, challenges & decisions that need to be made quickly to get through uncomfortable situations etc, they are all fun & part of life etc....
So tell them all to go to "somewhere" enjoy your last 9 weeks making sure if required there is a position to return too in years to come, but don't feel guilty... They probably did not jump at their opportunity & regret it!!! have fun!!! It is the best to have no real idea what will happen next!!!

GaryG

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

A 30 day Visa obtained through The Consulate in Sydney requires a form in duplicate, two passport photos and AU$125.00. A lot more that for a VOA with a cost of US$25.00. Any other info on this or does anyone have any conflicting information.
GaryG

Darma1

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Gary, for a 30 day VOA, it is best to just arrive in Bali & pay the US $25. If you want to stay longer up to 60 days you apply a few weeks prior to leaving through the Indo Embassy closest to you or thru your Travel Agent. It is $120 you can then stay for up to 60 days.
So if you are only going for 30 days or less just pay your $25 US on arrival in DPS..

Next

Return to Bali Travel Forum