The home for BootsnAll.com members - talk with other travelers, ask questions that don't fit anywhere else and learn more about the BnA community.

Mixed Communal showers????

Jason Ferlay

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: September 29th, 2004
I read with interest one of the reports on Bootsnall about a mixed communal shower in a hostel in Inverness. Do many hostels around the world have mixed communal showers? I agree with the author of that report, if you're going to have a shower with other people its better to have a shower with a group of women rather than men!! Eek

What are the showering arrangements in most hostels worldwide- single cubicles or communal?

Anyone got any comments on this subject.

Libby

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

I've never experienced one and would never use one. Sorry, sponge baths would have to do!

I have also heard that the YHA in Cambridge, England also has a communal shower.

Becks

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Hmm...that's an interesting thought...I have never experienced or seen one either, but it would be interesting to hear about someone who has...
"The world's got me dizzy again. You'd think after 22 years I'd be used to the spin. And it only gets worse if I stay in one place, so I'm always pacing around or walking away.
I keep drinking the ink from my pen. And I'm balancing history books up on my head. But it all boils down to one quotable phrase: If you love something give it away."
Bright Eyes

sociolingo

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

On a recent stay in Zermatt ...apartment hotel .. we were surprised to find a big notice in the jacuzzi/sauna area saying that it was a nude area! The whole area ... not just the sauna. Needless to say I was very British, kept my swimming cossie on and felt slightly guilty. It wouldn't have bothered me at all privately, but not with a whole load of strangers ..

Court

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

I have never stayed at a hostel that has had mixed communal showers, or know of anyone that has. Only one, in Luxembourg City (the HI), has had same-sex communal showers.

Court

travis

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

quote:
What are the showering arrangements in most hostels worldwide- single cubicles or communal?

Mostly single cubicles, of course the world is a big and diverse place and we've already heard of one example, I'm sure there a few communal showers out there but for the most part they will offer some showering privacy.

Tizwoz

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I stayed in a hostel in Prague that had communal single sex showers. I can't remember its name by it was on Zikova in the Dejvice area.

Tassy

borderland

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 30th, 2004
Sorry to diverge a bit, but in case anyone finds themselves in Germany, the saunas at gyms are unisex and nude. Nobody cares and in fact it was the guys I knew who were more inclined to wear a towel or shorts, to avoid possible embarrasment.
Is it like this in other European countries? Or even other countries, full stop.
'I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.'
J. Handey

Sky Annie

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 2nd, 2004
quote:
Originally posted by Libby:
I've never experienced one and would never use one. Sorry, sponge baths would have to do!

I have also heard that the YHA in Cambridge, England also has a communal shower.

I was there a couple of years ago and they didn't then. I somehow suspect that hasn't changed.

Personally, I don't know what the big deal is because most 'communal' showers I've seen have stalls. Plus, if you feel so inclined, you can always shower in your bathing suit.

Clay

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 3rd, 2004
While I was on tour- at a campground near San Francisco- some members of the group participated in a 'liquid dance party' which consisted of all of them piling into the pay per minute shower

Being the East Coast prude I am.. I didn't participate

*cantsitstill*

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 16th, 2004
i just got back from oktoberfest in germany a couple of days ago. and yes, the place i stayed had an all girl community shower. i'm usually really shy about this kind of stuff. but given the fact the tents leave you smelling like a monkey's ass, 'gotta do whacha gotta do'
i got over the shyness real fast. oh, i think a couple of liters of beer helped settle the uneasiness faster too!

taikogirl

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 17th, 2004
Some youth hostels in japan have communal single sex bathrooms, with showers around the sides of the room and the shared 'ofuro' (large warm bath) in the middle.
It wasn't really a big deal, most people just use the shower and keep their eyes on the wall in front. All part of the experience really though...

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 18th, 2004
I would think that would be very helpful in educating the youths, since at that age they are curious about their bodies and how the different parts fit together.

Sky Annie

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 18th, 2004
I didn't think that curiousity stops when you get older. Big Grin

Skimaxpower

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 6th, 2006
I have never seen co-ed communal showers, but the same-sex communal showers at the HI in Verona, Italy were definitely NOT popular.

Next

Return to BootsnAll Members' Forum