Figure out the best way to get from Central to South America, when you should book your accommodations for Carnaval and local language school recommendations. If it's on South America, it's in this forum.

Mobile Phone in Argentina?!

marissabarresi

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 14th, 2011
Hi All-

Just wondering if anyone has purchased a "pay as you go" phone in Buenos Aires? I was going to use my Verizon Blackberry but then just found out it's 4.99 per minute AND data usgage will be charged "at the pay per use rate of $0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)" which gets you 3-4 e-mails! Yikes!! I won't even be able to turn my BB on! I was just thinking about buying a phone when I land in EZE.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Tortuguita

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2011
Hi!

I bought a pre-paid SIM in Buenos Aires when I was there in December of 2008. The company I used is called Movistar, and it was as easy as buying the SIM, putting it in my phone, and adding money to it whenever needed in any corner-store/grocery store. They key was having an unlocked cellphone from home, from a company that uses SIM cards, (in the US AT&T or T-Mobile). Verizon won't work, so if you know anyone who can loan you an older unlocked phone, that would be easiest. Hope that helps.
http://turtlestravel.wordpress.com/

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." ~Mark Twain

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2011
if you can't get an unlocked phone here you can probably get a phone there for cheap. Last time I was in Guate I purchased a phone that will work in all of the Americas for about $30. It was very easy.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

SpotlightBuenosAires

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 28th, 2011
No electronics in Argentina are cheap. A $25 cheapo phone in the States costs $75 here in BA. It would be much better to bring one. And you can even get it unlocked cheaply here (in Once neighborhood). Sim cards are always sold cheaply by street vendors, especially along Pueyrredon Avenue in the Once neighborhood, between Corrientes and Rivadavia.
And the prepaid cards for every phone company are available at most kiosks all over the city.
http://SpotlightBuenosAires.com
A cultural resource for expats, visitors and locals to find information and opinions about BA’s food, art, music, architecture and culture.

Return to South America Travel