Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling the east coast of Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

Money needed for Oz/NZ

ucfbjwb

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 11th, 2010
I will be in oz from January for about 5 months and NZ for about 2.5onths and was wondering what kind of budget I will need per month? I have got about £1100 a month. That be enough? I don't have a work visa so can't earn more. But would it be possible to get a working visa whilst i there?

jackberry

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 15th, 2010
Am sure you're budget here is short. Well, 5 months is almost half a year and you still have to travel in NZ for 2.5 months. Well, good luck there, but am sure you can have a job there.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 15th, 2010
Better get a work visa or pass on the trip as you only have about 1/2 enough to merely survive in OZ where the prices are :crazy:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

sunnybuns

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 17th, 2010
You may be able to get by for day to day but I don't think that's enough to travel around Oz. Accommodation alone will probably eat up about 700-800 of your budget.
~lost in translation~

donnelledwards

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 18th, 2010
Traveling and living in OZ can be quite expensive and a huge budget is required to survive for such a long time of about 5 months. Looking at your budget, I think it is better for you to get a work visa first. It will help in avoiding any type of inconveniences.

ucfbjwb

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 18th, 2010
sunnybuns wrote:You may be able to get by for day to day but I don't think that's enough to travel around Oz. Accommodation alone will probably eat up about 700-800 of your budget.

£700-£800 a month in accommodation at hostels? Thats a couple hundred pounds more than I payed in rent. Wow

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 19th, 2010
ucfbjwb wrote:
sunnybuns wrote:You may be able to get by for day to day but I don't think that's enough to travel around Oz. Accommodation alone will probably eat up about 700-800 of your budget.

£700-£800 a month in accommodation at hostels? Thats a couple hundred pounds more than I payed in rent. Wow

That's only around 23-26 AUD/night so that means Dorms every night for 5-6 months OUCH!! :help:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

gettingready

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 20th, 2010
You could buy a camper van for $3000 and spend nothing on camping at all. Just food and fuel.

Sell it five months later for $2800. check out gumtree

too easy

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

ucfbjwb wrote:

Keep in mind renting a home is always cheaper than holiday accommodation. However, you wouldn't be spending £800 each month on hostel dorm-type accommodation except for expensive locations. However you'd need a lot more than that for the whole 5 months. Even if you find a bed for $20/night that's $3000 or £1,868 for the whole 5 months, or £373 each month. Hostel beds could be as low as $15 or as expensive as $50+, but the average to me (after just a quick search) seems to be in the high $20s for a dorm bed (higher if you want your own room).

As for food this depends how much you eat out as opposed to cook your own food/make picnics. If you were just doing groceries and making your own food $30/week should do you in regional areas (not sure if capital cities are much more expensive). You can get a fast food meal for $5 - $10, a cheap restaurant meal could be as low as $12 - $15 (perhaps less if you were not buying a drink and just had water), medium priced restaurant meal for $20 - $25 and of course expensive can be as expensive as you make it!

Travel will be more expensive than in many other places of the world. You can get cheap sale flights, but rarely can you get them at the last minute, you'd need to book in advance, otherwise you'd be paying full price.

I do think you could get by on that budget, but you would not be travelling much, you'd be mainly making your own meals, you'd be getting the cheapest accommodation possible and wouldn't have much money for the more expensive activities like reef trips.

I don't know Australia's visa rules but I'm under the impression they're pretty strict, so if you wanted a working visa (be aware also of Working Holiday Visas) you'd be safer to investigate that before you go in case you do need it prior to arriving.

ucfbjwb

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

I am looking into getting holiday working visa from the holiday one I have at the moment. If I can't change the visas I can always "woof" it for a week here and there. At least that way I don't spend anything or at least save on accommodation. Know much about woofing?

Brooke vs. the World

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 3rd, 2010
Australia is unfortunately a very expensive place to travel, and your budget is definitely lacking some funds if you expect to move around and "see" things. I definitely recommend a working holiday visa, but you must apply OUTSIDE of the country, so... before you come.

In addition to Wwoofing, you may be able to find a hostel that needs help in exchange for a free bed.
Brooke vs. the World - Travel Blog | WhyGo Australia - Australia Travel Guide | @brookeschoenman - Tweet Me

Return to Australasia and the Pacific Islands Travel