With loads of useful info on climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, overland travel and wild animal safaris, the Africa forum is the place to discuss the dark continent.

Moroccan desert tour... anyone been?

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 7th, 2011
I'm interested in going on a 3 day/2 night tour from Marrakesh... can't decide which desert: Erg Chebbi or Erg Chigaga. I read about Sahara Services which looks good. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a reputable company and share their experiences...
Europe travels
South America to SE Asia travels

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 8th, 2011
I think you should approach local companies in Marrakesh for desert tours. They can offer you much better rates. There are plenty of tour operators over there.

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 8th, 2011
I went with Imagine le Voyage Sahara Expedition.

I DO NOT recommend them.
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 9th, 2011
I went to Erg Chigaga and absolutely loved it. I'm Canadian, and we had arranged a stay at Dar Sidi Bounou before going overseas, as it is run by a Canadian woman. It's a great little place to stay in M'Hamid, and she also arranged the camel trek for us with a local.

The only tiny snag in the experience was that there was a bit of a misunderstanding on the PRICE for the camel trek, but as I was able to provide proof in print of the arrangement made, it wasn't an issue. So, all I'm getting at here is to make sure that you get a firm confirmation of prices, etc., in print in an email or something for your own records. Honestly, that's sound advice for anything and anywhere, not just Morocco.

The end result was one of the most memorable experiences I've had in my entire life, and I find myself daydreaming often about when I'll next be able to get back there. And I would personally do it with these folks again.

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 11th, 2011
I had Hassan Bouaouina as a guide for my January 2010 entire trip to Morocco and had a great experience! Hassan picked me up from Casablanca CMN airport and we went to Rabat,Meknes,Fes,Atlas mnts,Desert in Merzouga,gorges,Ouarzazate,Marrakesh and Essaouira.

I would recommend my guide Hassan for arranging your Moroccan trip(or Desert trip). He made me feel safe and very comfortable and told me a lot of nice things about the country and its culture. He is a very knowledgeable person and travelling with him was like travelling with a big brother.

Hassan's address is gutentagdiewelt@gmail.com.

Feel free to email me if you need more infos.

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 5th, 2011
Morocco is one of the rising travel destinations in North Africa. Morocco offers the wonderful intermingle of mystery, beauty, history, culture and luxury. From the narrow streets in the ancient medinas to the astounding sand dunes of the Sahara, Morocco should certainly be on your dream list.

Whether you decided to visit an UNESCO World Heritage center, the Medinas of Fez (the walled, maze-like inner quarters of the ancient Arabic towns) offer a well-preserved glimpse into the cultural past of Morocco. Donkey wide alleyways and covered bazaars are surrounded by continuous lines of magnificent ramparts and gates. Fez's wide array of workshops and attractions - including tanneries, markets, and mosques - is a rush to the senses. Excellent food and shopping is a treat to enjoy in all of Morocco's city centers - delicious Tajines and sweet mint tea. You will stumble upon sights, sounds, flavors, and smells that you will never forget
I rely on my car hire

Return to Africa Travel