With loads of useful info on climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, overland travel and wild animal safaris, the Africa forum is the place to discuss the dark continent.

Morocco to Ghana Overland

skottandshawna

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Tags: africa, overland, mali, ghana, morocco, Mauritania, burkina faso
  • Added on: April 24th, 2011
Hey all - my wife and I begin a RTW journey mid June. We are spending about a month in Spain/Portugal before heading down to Morocco. We would like to go from Morocco-Mauritania-Mali-Burkina Faso-Ghana...we also may include Senegal, and then to Burkina...

Anyways, from the little research I have done, it appears as though there are some rail routes which we could look at taking. Has anyone taking these? Or should we go via bus? We are thinking taking about 4 weeks to get to Ghana, although an extra couple of weeks isn't the end of the world. Any other advice? Is this route generally safe?

Thanks in advance,

S&S

Pelke

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 25th, 2011
I have not been, but from what I have read, you will at least need to hire a car to get from Morocco to Mauritania. My understanding is that there is no public transportation across that border. Hopefully, someone with experience doing this can confirm for you. I'm interested to see what you work out. I am considering a very similar route myself :-)

Return to Africa Travel