Figure out the best way to get from Central to South America, when you should book your accommodations for Carnaval and local language school recommendations. If it's on South America, it's in this forum.

Mosquitoes in Argentina

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Tags: argentina, mosquitoes, health
  • Added on: February 24th, 2011
My girlfriend and travel companion is inordinately afraid of getting bit by mosquitoes and coming down with malaria, dengue, or yellow fever. Although she has agreed to come with me to Argentina later this year (November/December), she seems to be doing more research on health advisories than fun destinations. I have -- with great reluctance -- dropped Iguazu Falls from our itinerary as what she would call "a tropical hellhole," so we are concentrating on Buenos Aires and various destinations in Patagonia where the combination of wind and altitude would make the mosquito problem fly away.

Two questions:

(1) Was I right under these circumstances to drop Iguazu Falls

(2) Is there a mosquito problem at Bariloche, Peninsula Valdes, or Ushuaia?

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 25th, 2011
Personally I would drop the girlfriend.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Traveler_2007

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 25th, 2011
busman7 wrote:Personally I would drop the girlfriend.

...that or even better just use malaria medication and even better insect reppelent ...You should use it for yourself anyway....and keep the girlfriend...

AsaG

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 5th, 2011
Travelling in Argentina is not a big health risk. Risk of malaria is very low according to WHO but they say "Malaria risk due exclusively to P. vivax is very low and is confined to rural areas along the borders with Bolivia (lowlands of Salta province) and with Paraguay (lowlands of Chaco and Misiones provinces)"

However if you and your friend are concerned you can take malaria tablets and use insect repellant. You will need yellow fever vaccination on the other hand. For more information see WHO travel and health interactive map: http://apps.who.int/tools/geoserver/www/ith/index.html

Due to the low risk, skipping Iguazu Falls would be a shame. I hope you can convince your girlfriend to reconsider. I do not remember meeting any mosquito fly there but thousands and thousands of butterflies.

You can´t live life without taking some risk. If you are well prepared then you can travel the world without taking any unnecessary risk.

Wish you safe journey, I am sure you will enjoy Argentina (with or without visiting Iguazu Falls)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.top-travel-tips.com/

zoomcharlieb

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2011
i agree with Busman. there are too many wonderful places in the world to go to that also have mosquitos, then again, i usually don't take my wife to them now that i think of it, i just go without her and we are both happy with that.

Return to South America Travel