Discussion forum for folks interested in climbing Africa's highest mountain.

Mount Kilimanjaro ADVICE??!

mnmn

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 18th, 2011
Hi there

One of my friends is thinking of travlling from ireland to Tanzania to Climb Mt Kilimanjaro with her boyfriend in Mid July. Firstly she is worried if it is wise, hopefully they will egg each other on and not squabble!

Is this a good time of year to climb? What route do they take? How many days do they need? or they need to book in advance for accommodation/guide or just arrive at the bottom? How much training do they need tgo do beforehand (they are both mid twenties and fairly fit though they both have desk jobs!). So many questions! Any advice would be reeeeeeeeeeally appreciated!

Thank!

Mama-to-many

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 18th, 2011
I hope you have given your friends all the advice you just posted about Kili on your other thread. Sounds like you already know quite a bit and could help them out. Have you suggested they sign up with BnA so they can see answers?

MichelleV

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2011
Hi

I climbed Kili last February and we had good weather/ clear views as it was just before the rainy season starts. I would highly recommend checking out Adventure Alternative's website which has loads of safety information,useful facts and details of kit etc. that will be needed. http://www.adventurealternative.com/Kil ... Adventures

Cheers

Michelle

Peter Lee

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 22nd, 2011
February to March is the best time to visit Kili. Your friends can tale a route from North East of Kili.

fromcadiztocapetown

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 13th, 2011
I just went this past week and had perfect weather. September and October are also supposed to be nice, it rains a bit in November, its fine in December, and then January through March it is nice again. Here's my day by day account of my experience on the Machame Route: http://fromcadiztocapetown.blogspot.com ... ilimanjaro

Lisa D

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2012
The weather was still dry when I did the climb from mid to the end of October. I enjoyed the weather at this time too. The company I used was Team Kilimanjaro and they did a wonderful job in assisting me with the choice of my route. You can also rent equipment from them. I went with the Rongai Route which took our group 7 days to complete. Great views, and we didn't see anyone else on this route until the last 2 nights when all the routes pretty much merge in order to go up the last stretch. I was glad that we didn't take the more commonly used route, referred to as the "Coca-Cola" route, it's thought to be the easiest and nicer since you can stay in huts on the way up. The complaints that I heard about this route were the noisy huts and the crowds. You can hear everyone breathing heavily due to the altitude, so I recommend bringing earplugs for that if they decide on this route because they will need all the rest they can get.
As far as fitness, I usually work out about 3 times a week anyways but I focused more on the stairclimber, squats and lunges, and just did a lot of walking. Unless you can train with altitude you don't really know how it will affect you. I was 22 when I went and made it to the summit with little to no issues, but the guy who I thought for sure would have made it didn't. He had experience hiking in high altitudes when in Nepal carrying his own 60 lb pack. You just can't be sure how the altitude will affect you when you get up there. The only affects I felt were slight fatigue and difficulty breathing when I tried to sleep the night before our summit.
Kilimanjaro is mainly a hiking mountain so there won't be any use of ropes really.

Other recommendations that were passed on to me that helped a lot during the climb:

- Eat even if you don't feel hungry. The altitude will make you have less of an appetite, but you will need the food for strength.
- Bring crystalized ginger cubes. That helped me a lot when I was feeling nauseous. It went away immediately after I ate one or two of the cubes. Ginger also helps with altitude sickness.
- Bring chocolate bars. They help with energy and the cocoa helps with altitude sickness as well.
- Iodine tablets are a must. Luckily someone who had completed the climb gave me his left overs, but even if they filter the water you will want to drop an iodine tablet into your water just in case. The last thing you need on the mountain is to be sick from the water.
- When you are summiting, keep an extra camera battery next to your body for warmth. You don't want to get to the top and can't take a picture of your success because the camera battery froze... literally.
- If you bring a camelbak (recommended) place the bladder inside your jacket and the straw down the sleeve of your jacket. This will keep your water from freezing in the hose.

That's all I can think of for now, hope that helps and your friends have a wonderful climb. It's an amazing feeling of accomplishment when you get to the top and the views are unreal when the sun just starts to come up over the clouds.

Jiahui

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 25th, 2013
As a fanatic trekker person I've always dreamed of climbing the roof of Africa. Not surprised that a "Coca-Cola" route exists, therefore should go as soon as possible while a non-touristic route still exists=) I understand how an experienced guide is essential here. The highest altitude I've been to is about 3500m+ so that is of concern. Anyway thanks for the advice.

Return to Mt Kilimanjaro