Like it or love it, most of us have to work for a living. This is the place to commiserate with other cube-dwellers and get tips from other business travelers. Talk about how the daily grind will one day allow you to realize your vagabond dreams. Share tips for turning travel you have to do into travel you want to do.

Moving BUT ...Find a job first or move first?

Ranni007

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 8th, 2007
hey guys

i am moving to new york city in few months. I finish my BA in Historty in December. I would like to move to NYC in February or March next year. I have been looking for apartements etc

but i have a question about finding a JOB. First I thought I would move to NYC and then look for job there. But my friends and family has been telling me not to move until i find a job there.

so what do i do?

lets say if i apply for a job in NYC, and somebody asks me for interview...i go there spend about $1000 on plane and hotel...I dont get a job ..come back..apply again...go back again....so on

thats not gonna work. And its not like I have PhD or MS in something fancy. I have a BA in Hisorty. I will probably get work in some office... using Excel. For those kinda jobs companies dont call people in Alabama and offer the JOB. Locals get those jobs.

so my idea was to move first and then look for temp work there. But everybody i know, disagree with me.

I would like to know your advise.

Than you very much

Ranni

anniebanannie

All that and a bag of Doritos

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 8th, 2007
If a company asks you to come up and interview, they should pay for the transport. That said, for an entry-level position, they will not likely do that.

Do you have some money saved? Enough to get you by for about 2 months? If so, my suggestion would be to move. Get a roommate on Craigslist. Get a temp job, or, spend the month or so finding a full time job.

Know that NYC is wicked expensive, so be prepared for that. But, especially for an entry-level position, you'd be better off being in the city in which you would like to work. You can be available for interviews, etc. Start building your resume now, have friends check it out to make sure it highlights your skills well, and be on your way.

Much luck.

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 9th, 2007
I second what Anniebanannie said. Think about it. This is NYC you're talking about. One of the largest cities in the world. Any company with an opening for an entry-level position is going to get flooded with applications from people already living in NYC. They're going to toss your resume once they see you live in Alabama. But you already know this. You just need to tell your friends and family that the smart people at Bootsnall agree with you. Good luck and I hope everything works out!

Madhu

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

When you put your resume on line right now...see if you can find a freind or family with an address in that area for your resume. For entry level jobs that might help. The other thing might be to take Docent positions in museums...with your background in History that might help.Might be unpaid but might help you network for other jobs.
I'm Flickring away...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mreddy

"The difference between loneliness and solitude is your perception of who you are alone with and who made the choice." --anonymous quote

Dilberta

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Have you thought about living somewhere less expensive nearby or in New Jersey temporarily until you find a job and save up more?

I'd still stay go for it no matter what, just don't put it off/get stuck where you are and regret not doing it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Live Life, No Regrets, Keep Learning

Ranni007

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 10th, 2007
Thanks guys. I knew you would understand me better than friends and family Smile

yeah..i will look for job once i get there. I have 4 yr Experience working in Macys and 3 yr experience working in a cancer reseach lab in local Hospital. That should help me some.

As far as saving...I will have atleast $4000 saved by the time i move. One of my friend is also moving with me so we will split the rent half. We were thinking about moving to Manhattan BUT we have given up on that idea. Our eyes are now on Queens or Brooklyn. I was thinking may be places like Hoboken or Jersey city ..BUT my friend thinks Jersey is full of mullets and Bon Jovi fans. haha

I love love love history..i Would LOVE to get a job in some museum like MET. But i am sure its very hard to get job there. I will try tho. I would much rather work in some museum than work behind a desk. But i guess for first couple of years i would take anything. You know...beggars cannot be choosy

thanks guys for your help.

Ranni

Miss Logic

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 12th, 2007
Hey I know you have decided to move and find a job and I just want to say I also think this is the best idea. The only other suggestion I have is to perhaps sublet for the first couple of months you are there and make sure this is a move you want to make. I have a friend that is actually doing this now. I drove her to NYC 1 month ago and she is subletting for 2 months while she looks for work and her own place. In doing this if for whatever reason she does not get a job she is not stuck in a lease and can come back here. She saved up enough money to live for 2 months plus money for a security deposit for a new place when she finds one. Just thought I would throw that out there and reiterated the moving there first.

skobb

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 14th, 2007
I fifth or sixth the nomination to move first. I moved to Portland with no job and found something right away. I later moved to Providence with no job (or apartment) and found a job. It is much easier to be on the ground.

Assuming you left Macy's on good terms, it seems like that'd be an easy job for you to get again once you get to NYC. It may not be your dream job, but it'll bring in income and prevent a gap in your resume while you look at other work.

Ranni007

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 14th, 2007
thanks guys for your tips.

I have been looking on Monster.com and hotjobs.com, to see some entry level jobs. Monster even emailed me saying if i pay them $250 ....they can fix my resume and i will have more chances of getting in to entry lever jobs.

i am little fishy about that idea.

if nothing works..i will try to work in MACYS. Macys in New york is HUGE. I am sure they need people there all the time

thanks guys Smile

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 15th, 2007
I wouldn't pay Monster $250 for that service. Send your resume to family and friends and ask for their honest feedback. Most will be more than happy to help you.

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 15th, 2007
Monster.com and Hotjobs.com will only take your money and fill your inbox with sleazy spam. Craigslist.org is much, much better.

Do NOT pay for "Resume Blaster" or anything like that. The old adage has not changed: "It's not what you know, it's who you know"

Concentrate on connections within friends and family circles.
Time to pull in some favors. Sending out resumes is a fool's errand. Macy's is a sure bet, especially right now.

Madhu

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 16th, 2007
Buy a book for resume and it will not cost you more than $25 or sit in a library and get the tips.

Since its your first job put emphasis on school, school projects, leadership roles you have had, jobs of course and also any volunteer work etc etc.

Basically you want to show some basic qualitities like ...communication, work ethic, problem solving and a desire to learn.

When sending resumes for key positions take some of the key words from the description of the job and see if those words are in your resume. These days machine do the resume reading by key words.

Golden rule...your first job...your first resume should not be more than 1 page. Only after 7-10 years of experience you can afford to have a 2 page resume.
I'm Flickring away...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mreddy

"The difference between loneliness and solitude is your perception of who you are alone with and who made the choice." --anonymous quote

cherie

Librarian Gone Wild

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 19th, 2007
Ranni--

Move here. Save up enough money, see if you have a friend you can stay with or find a cheap sublet.

BEFORE you move here, start sending out resumes. If someone calls you, say, "Well, I'm actually still in __ but will be moving to NYC on Feb 12. Can we set up an interview for any day after that?"

I left NYC for grad school and began sending out resumes one month before I moved back. A coworker of mine now sent out resumes and came up from DC for day trips for job interview but ultimately landed her job two weeks after moving here.

Let me know if you need any tips. I'm a New Yorker, and have job hunted before. It sucks, yeah, but while you're unemployed, there are some cheap things you can do to occupy yourself....like go the Met and the Museum of Natural History and pay what you want!
www.worldofcherie.blogspot.com

Return to Corporate Wasteland & Business Travel