If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

Moving to Budapest CELTA/Teaching English Advice and Awesome

KnottyNikki

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Tags: budapest, celta
  • Added on: January 20th, 2010
I'd love some first-hand experience to go along with the sometimes contradictory advice I find on the interwebs, hoping this stellar group of people can help...

My plan is to go to Budapest this fall and take the CELTA. After that I want to teach English in Budapest, am hoping that the course will give me some leads on jobs and if not, I know several people there who teach English and might be able to help me on the finding a job front.

*How likely is it that I will be able to get a job there directly after I'm done with the course? I'm a 19-year old American with no uni degree.

*How much money should I have saved up before I go? The course costs about 1300 US. I'll have to buy plane tickets and pay for lodging (although I'll be staying with friends, at least until I find a job and an apartment, so it'll be quite cheap.)

*Visas: Do I need a student visa to take the course? And I'm pretty sure I have to return to the US to get a teaching/work visa after the course is completed and I get a job. Is it possible to get that visa before I even go for the course, or how likely is it that an employer will pay for me to return to the US just for the visa, and how much does the visa cost?

*Anything else I should know before I venture into this hare-brained scheme? I fell in love with Budapest and I've got to get back soon and the best way to do it seems to teach English.
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing?-it's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”~Kerouac

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 25th, 2010
I took the Celta course in Budapest, and yes, once you have it, is is very possible to get a job just after certification. They have a list of opportunities once you graduate, all over europe.

I did so.

It's a very good program there, by the way, and you will love the city.

Money: figure on 100 euros a week, minimum, I'd say 150-200 to be comfortable. It can be cheaper, but you go out with your classmates a lot to eat. The rule in Europe is about 750-1000 euros a month for full travel. Budapest is a lot cheaper, but its not the bargain it used to be.

No you do not need a student visa, since the standard one month course fits inside the Schengen Visa limits. I'm not even sure you CAN get a student visa for a one month course.

If you choose to apply for one, apply inside the USA at the Hungarian Embassy, and find out their list of requirements.

By the way, there are often jobs IN Budapest if you love the place so much, and they can arrange for a working visa if they like you. Course, with so many Brits around now, it might be tough. They get working visas a LOT easier than non-Europeans.

You MAY be able to get a working visa outside of the USA, say, from Romania or something like that, outside the Schengen zone. I got my Ukraine visa from the embassy in Budapest.

+

Dan The Chainsawman

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 4th, 2010
I've been teaching ESL for roughly 5 years.

You can easily get a job without a CELTA. You'll more than likely do just fine and pick up everything you need to know about being a teacher in the first six months. You'll spend a year or two after than refining your approach to best reach your students.

However, doing the CELTA first gives you the advantage of just getting it overwith. It seems to me that more and more jobs are requiring a cert of some sort. So you might as well get it overwith now and be done with it.

I certainly wish I had done it.

I've heard some really good things about the course in Budapest, along with the city being absolutely gorgeous. Have a good time and if you need a job lead and are interested in China I know my company is always looking for teachers to fill six month contracts. It's not a bad way to get your foot in the door until you find something better.

Good luck!

KnottyNikki

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 12th, 2010
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'd like to get a job in Budapest after I finish the course, but if that's not possible China would be interesting.

I love Budapest and I can't wait to get back. Is there a particularly good time of year to take the course so there will be a lot of job opportunities when I finish it?
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing?-it's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”~Kerouac

Dan The Chainsawman

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 17th, 2010
A Celta is rarely required in China, but as I said.. Just get it over with as someday it'll be a requirement I'm sure.

I teach in China now and jobs are easy to find. PM me if you have questions.

AJ59

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 12th, 2011
Hi,
I'd recommend CELT (the Irish CELTA) It's a bit cheaper, there are more input sessions and they offer you work and full reimbursement of the fee. Check the link:
http://www.katedra.hu/tanarkepzes_CELT
regards,
AJ

KnottyNikki

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 25th, 2011
Hey thanks for the advice :) But I've already taken the CELTA in Budapest. Everything worked out splendidly and I now live here teaching full-time. It's a good life and I'm glad I took the plunge and did it.

The CELTA was great, very informative...although for kind of a limited range of classes. They have one afternoon session on Business ENglish, for example, even though that's 95% of what I teach. Same with exam prep classes. Still, they give you the basics and the most important thing is that they make you feel comfortable leading a class, so I'm definitely glad I took it.

If anyone has any questions about this, I'd be happy to share my own experiences. In fact, if you're looking to come teach in Budapest, every school seems to be desperate for teachers right now and every empty timeslot I get is filled immediately so come on over and join the party!

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 26th, 2011
I take it that a degree is not necessary to teach English there? Have my TEFL from Bangkok & am headed to Cambodia for 6 months experience then will be looking for another country next year.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

KnottyNikki

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 7th, 2011
Yeah, university degrees aren't necessary. Preferred, but I found a job without one. As long as you have experience and some kind of TEFL certification, they'll be happy to hire you. The money is shite, though, so if you're looking for a place where you'll be able to save it's not here.

Return to Living Abroad