Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

must have travel gear for SE Asia?

mrisajne

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 3rd, 2011
Hello, I am a first time backpacker on my way to SE Asia for two months and I was wondering if there were any "must have" while on this trip that may save me some headache. Honestly, I was planning on just throwing a pack with some clothes, camera, mp3 player, maybe a book and some vitamins. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 4th, 2011
The one thing I really appreciated having was a steripen and reusable water bottle.

Beachcombers

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 4th, 2011
Frisbee

Condoms (local ones are a little small)

Money belt

More money

Have fun!

Don't forget your history
Know your destiny
In the abundance of water
The fool is thirsty

"Rat race" - Bob Marley

flipnomad

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2011
drypack (for this season) and a raincover for your backpack

mrisajne

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Ahh.. all good things. I was planning on just buying bottled water but that steripen might come in handy to wash off fruits and whatnot. The drypack is definitely a must, I agree. Was going to get some bug repellent just incase because in Peru I was eaten up by these terrible carnivorous flies but also didn't know if I needed malaria pills. I've heard yes, I've heard no.

mrisajne

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Ahh.. all good things. I was planning on just buying bottled water but that steripen might come in handy to wash off fruits and whatnot. The drypack is definitely a must, I agree. Was going to get some bug repellent just incase because in Peru I was eaten up by these terrible carnivorous flies but also didn't know if I needed malaria pills. I've heard yes, I've heard no.

Markus

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 6th, 2011
Electrolyte tabs of some sort for when you eventually get sick. You might not, but if you do it'll probably mean rapid water loss in humid conditions that are already dehydrating. The bottled water is cheap and plentiful but has very little taste or mineral content. The electrolytes are are great for boosting that water when you're too sick to go out and eat or get something else to drink.

Other than that, bathing suit. I believe that's about it.

Scritch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 7th, 2011
That drypack is interesting, I never thought to bring something similar. Is there any reason it wouldn't also double as your money belt? Seems like that D-clip could attach to nearly anything.

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets