Travel writing seems like a dream job: a life on the road, going exotic places, writing whenever you wanted and getting paid for it too! Get tips on how to break into the business, learn more about what it's really like working as a travel writer and get feedback on your own stories.

Nat'l Geographic Traveler Mag Travel Writing Contest

JessieS

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

Tags: travel writing, travel writing contest, student travel
  • Added on: June 18th, 2007
I just saw this in my most recent National Geographic Traveler magazine. From the website:

quote:
We all think we can be travel writers if we just had more time to travel. After all, schoolteachers have asked us to write “what I did on my summer vacation” for years. So what's so hard about doing it again?

Truth is, sharing your experiences in a meaningful and entertaining way is pretty darn tough. Believe us—we wade through hundreds of letters and emails that, frankly, you don't want to read. Meanwhile, we’re looking for the next great travel writer—someone who has an original way of seeing the world and bringing it alive on the page or the screen.

So give us a great story and we'll give you a great trip—and, perhaps, a new career.

We’re asking students all over North America to send us a 300-word essay on a travel experience that moved you, excited you or changed you. The author of the winning essay will travel on assignment to Mongolia with National Geographic Traveler’s Editor-in-Chief Keith Bellows, courtesy of Travcoa. Even better, the winner will have his/her story published on the National Geographic Traveler website.

Good luck!
The Official BootsnAll Italy Travel Guide
Are you on Twitter? Follow me!

girlgoesglobal

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

My excitement only lasted about 7 seconds until I read this:

Who may enter:
Students attending an undergraduate or graduate two-year or four-year college in North America.
http://girlgoesglobal.com is back!

JessieS

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

Yeah, it's a contest for college students in North America... So, not all-encompassing - but if you fit the description of who they're looking for, it's a great opportunity!
The Official BootsnAll Italy Travel Guide
Are you on Twitter? Follow me!

girlgoesglobal

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 19th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by JessieS:
Yeah, it's a contest for college students in North America... So, not all-encompassing - but if you fit the description of who they're looking for, it's a great opportunity!

I agree...and it makes me want to enroll for my Master's Degree just to qualify! Aagr

Good luck to all!

Thompsonbd1

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

just submitted my essay Smile It's worth a try right?

girlgoesglobal

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by GigemAgs09:
just submitted my essay Smile It's worth a try right?

Hooray gig!! What did you write about?

madcherrylimas

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 25th, 2007
I KNEW I was hanging around in college on the five year plan for a good reason... Smile

Return to Travel Writing