Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Native dishes of Bangkok and Thailand

Nickcooks

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: bangkok, food, dishes, cuisine, thailand
  • Added on: May 25th, 2011
Can anybody help me with some info about the most delicious treats in Bangkok? I am interested in Bangkok street food, main course dishes, desserts, drinks, etc.

GilbertRobbins

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 26th, 2011
Food is vital part of your Bangkok experience, and luckily you don't have to walk very far to find delicious food to eat. Shop-house restaurants and food carts can be found on almost every street corner, at roadway eateries with fold-up tables and chairs, and in the smallest of lanes.

What to eat - will depend upon your taste and mood during your visit to different streets.
There will be various choices from Fried Insects, Street Food, Typical Thai Meals or Thai Desserts..
I rely on my car hire

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

A 7-11 on every second street so you won't starve.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

evening

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

It's a specialty of northern Thailand, but you should be able to find excellent versions in Bangkok - khao soy gai (pronounced like cow soy guy). It's northern Chiang Rai curry noodles - gai means chicken but you can probably get it with "dofu" if you're vegetarian.

This stuff is orgasmic! If you ask any Thai in the north what to eat, you will hear "khao soy gai"

any noodle dish you see on the street will probably be excellent. they make a version of pho/phue everywhere. And, the fried rice is good too! Just look for stalls that have a lot of Thais and seem busy. The more turnover, the better.

gai yang is grilled chicken. You will see piles of it all over with 2 sticks sort of flattening it out to be grilled. A specialty of the east (Isaan) - also very good! Usually they sell it with a bag of sticky rice.

also, dont forget to try the fruits like Rambutan (the one with the spiny outside) and mangosteens
Check out my site - suitcaseready.com
I am not Guidebook Dependent!

djmc

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

"buh-mee gow hang" is my favorite noodles. Keep an eye out for street vendors selling yellow egg noodles mixed with thin slices of red pork. Served in a soup, or dry (no broth). I prefer the dry version... looks like this:

crazyal

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

Nickcooks wrote:Can anybody help me with some info about the most delicious treats in Bangkok? I am interested in Bangkok street food, main course dishes, desserts, drinks, etc.

You will find food courts in most malls, even in some big office buildings. There is a very cheap food court at the airport, first floor, near the Airport Express Bus desk. (Magic Food Court.) You can sample many different Thai foods cheaply at food courts. Several supermarkets have in-store lunch counters or small food courts. You will find several Thai dishes available in those places reasonably priced.
(Foodland Supermarket "Took Lae Dee Restaurant.")
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianfuller/ ... otostream/

Here is a link for some Thai food you can check out:
http://www.enjoythaifood.com/thai-stree ... index.html

Happy eating.
Travel the world now before you get too old to do it!

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 27th, 2011
Pad si yew. Fat rice noodles fried with garlic and broccoli and egg. Pad thai omelettes. Duck curry from one of the carts on Sukhumvit in the 30 sois. Laab issan or neua nam tok in the Northeast, which is a minced meat salad with toasted rice powder.

The food is so good and diverse in Thailand it's hard to start.

braslvr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 27th, 2011

Nickcooks

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 31st, 2011
Thank you for all the replies. I have put up a page on mycitycuisine.org about
Bangkok cuisine and I have included the suggestions from this thread and from the links provided.
Please take a look:

http://www.mycitycuisine.org/wiki/Bangkok

Next, I plan to write dish descriptions and find photos for them. If any of you would like to contribute, you are more than welcome.
As you can see, mycitycusine.org is a wiki project, so anyone can come and contribute.

Return to Asia Travel