Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, the Tower Bridge... There's no shortage of things to do and see in London!

Need some recommendations on what to do in London

MercutioMike

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 24th, 2007
I've been living in Lodnon for the past 6 weeks (and will be here for another 2 years). I have found I have a lot of free time. Can some of you guys just start posting ideas on what I can do to fill it?

What are you favorite sites in London (these could be well-known museums or little-known pubs)?

What area's of London are great for a stroll?

Know of any just really killer coffee houses with free wifi, cozy chairs, and open late?

I'm just trying to get some ideas. Oh, if you could also post any web links to thinks you mention it would be appreciated!

Mike

ChrisH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 30th, 2007
Hey Mike,

I've just moved to London too, although I'm from just outside anyway so I had an idea of the city beforehand. One of the things I've enjoyed doing so far is cycling - believe it or not! If you can get a cheap bike that won't be stolen and find a quiet route, eg. along the Thames, then you'd have a great time I think. Otherwise there are of course lots of hidden gems: my latest find was Marylebone High Street, just north of Oxford Street. Check it out!
---
[b]Chris[/b] : blog

angrylittlesoldier

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 18th, 2007
Brick Lane - nice for a stroll, a number of great coffee shops and bars with wi-fi. chill out and watch the world go by

Calescence

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 28th, 2007
If you plan on checking out the nightlife, you can get most up-to-date information from Time Out London.
http://www.timeout.com/london

If you are looking for free wi-fi in the city, check out this local effort to map all of the freespots:
http://londonist.com/2007/05/free_wifi_in_lo.php

artist-at-large

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 30th, 2007
London has some wonderful museums and galleries. I like both Tates a lot (Tate Britain and the Tate Modern). I also like the National Portrait Gallery.

My other favorite thing to do there is to just take long walks.
www.artist-at-large.com
Read my stories from Paris, Provence, Big Sur, Prague, The Yucatan and more ... Check out the PhotoClub in The ArtStudio - weekly projects set to improve your compositions!

Spanky

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 7th, 2007
spend a WEEK in the British Museum. Hang out and shop in Camden, eat inexpensive and tasty Indian food at night and a full English breakfast in the morning. Hang out around the South Bank once in a while but don't waste any money on the tourist traps, instead make friends with the street performers , buy used books from the vendor (very reasonable and a great collection) when he's out and watch the artists work. The TATE modern art museum nearby is free.
Go to Knightsbridge and laugh at the shoppers coming out of Harrod's
The parks are both beautiful and plentiful and the whole city has a great vibe so walk when you can.
Take a day trip to Bath.
Take a weekend trip to Scotland but only in the Summer and still bring a heavy coat.
Take a dax trip to Cambride, and perhaps Oxford.
Attend the Promenades in the Park and Notting Hill Carnival.
Hope that helps.

Fugazi

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 10th, 2007
I was in London in March and went to Greenwich (where time was invented). It was really very cool. We took a boat from Westminster (near Big Ben). The ride was about 45 minutes and you pass The Tower of London, Tower Bridge, all the other bridges, etc, etc. Not only is the museum interesting, but the little town and park are quite charming.

If that's too dorky for you, go to Brixton for some real culture outside the 'London' that everybody thinks of when they think 'London'.

Portobello Road is also quite cool.

Craze_b0i

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 12th, 2007
Goto the pub and watch some football on a big-screen tv. Many pubs have a fixture list posted in the window. Otherwise goto Sky Sports to check the upcoming fixtures. Any premiership match involving 2 of the big 4 teams (Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea amd Liverpool) is a good bet, you can be sure the pub will be full of excited drunken locals.

This coming sunday there are 2 big games to choose from.
"Let's see if we can enjoy this recession. i enjoyed most of the previous ones."
- Zoomcharlieb.

my travel website

Chelovek

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 22nd, 2007
If you're staying in the suburbs, Antigallican pub is awesome. It also doubles as a very nice hostel/budget hotel and is in Greenwich, a nice quiet area.

If you want to get a cheap tour of the city, I'd suggest hopping on a bus and riding it around for a while. The buses are perfect for sightseeing, and if you have an Oyster card, after you spend 3 pounds (or something like that), you don't have to pay anymore busfare for the rest of the day.

Sarabic

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 22nd, 2007
I love the museums, and the best part is that they're FREE (except for the special exhibitions). In the winter it's nice to wander around in them, and many even have late-opening hours (V and A, National Gallery, British Museum) so you could go after work and avoid the touristy crowds. On nicer or warmer days, I loved wandering Hyde Park or the weekend markets, especially Brick Lane. Or check out the half-price tickets booth in Leicester Square for same-day tickets to theatre or a musical. Oh, Covent Garden market, while quite crowded, is great for a wander around xmas time. Enjoy!!

midlifetravel

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 25th, 2007
Greenwich - including the big museum at the bottom of the park - cant remember its name - Naval I think, the new Globe Theatre, Hampton Court, day trips: bath, cambridge, oxford, paris on the chunnel - so much to see!

Lis
Travel for the Over 30's

Frank Wilson

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 14th, 2010
First of all your lucky to have loads of free time :-)

London is place with full of entertainment and fun, Attractions , museums , galleries , events and much more. Check out the London events calendar for full year events, there are plenty of free attractions in London. visit http://www.tourlondoncity.com

Return to London Travel