Tell us what you think of BootsnAll.com. The good, the bad and the ugly - whatever is on your mind. Let us know what new features and information you'd like to see. Suggest ways we can make the BootsnAll community even stronger. Be honest.

New Board Layout

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 19th, 2009
It wouldn't be a change if the whining didn't start right away.

Overall, lots of things I like. But I'm not here to talk about those.

The things I don't like:
- I'm finding it hard to read overall, mostly because the font it too small. While I can correct that with browser settings, I'd suggest increasing the default size a little
- Post New Topic and Post a Reply should stand out more. I'd suggest graphics. Right now, they kind of blend in with all the other stuff on the page, and are tricky to find.
- I'm finding the board list more overwhelming than usual. Part of that may be the text size thing, but I think there's also less visual separation between the forums, making it a more challenging list to read.
- Some things have changed order for no apparent reason (Europe at the top of the destination forums). I suspect this will cause even greater issues with the split out of blog-related forums (London, Ireland, South Africa), since if I've got a question about London, I'm probably going to go to the Europe forum if I don't see London right next to it.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Not done yet.

Other issues:
- can't edit post...I imagine this is why there's preview, but sometimes I'll read something I posted a long time ago and get driven nuts by a grammatical mistake that I need to fix. Also, while preview is better than nothing, I find that I often notice changes I want to make after I've gone and read something else.
- time/date stamps are messed up. Seem to post all the information twice.

Stoo

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

The readability "issue" is more than the text size, which can be increased with the little thingy just to the right of the logout button...I'm thinking that posts are blending too much into the surrounding layout.
"No. I was talking about the hooker in Reno" -- BostonBill @ the BOOTCOM10 Hostel

Stoo

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

More: normal users can see the IPs that other people post from. That's really more of an admin thingy, no?
"No. I was talking about the hooker in Reno" -- BostonBill @ the BOOTCOM10 Hostel

Stoo

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

And our custom karma titles are gone!!! Ahhhh.....

Stoo

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

OK, I was able to make my dates pretty by setting the format in my user profile! So I guess that problem is just with the default...

EDIT: OK, I've been told that Karma titles would go, and I was warned in the Big Change emails a few days ago. Opps. I'd delete the above post, but I can't!

Sean

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Keep your thoughts/bugz coming Stoo and 2wanderers - lots of little tweaks etc over the next 24 to 48 hours I'm sure.
-----
Director of Boots
Dream. Search. Go.
http://airfare.bootsnall.com
http://twitter.com/SEKeener

Whistler

The Thunder From Downunder Goddess

Share on Orkut

Oh-oh - this is the one where you can't see the previous posts without scrolling down. I agree with 2wanderers, and I can't remember all he/she said because I can't see it to read while I'm typing this. Can't see Stoo's list of complaints either - for the same reason.

I don't understand the bits on the right hand side - BBCode . So what's the BBCode please? Ditto for [flash] (which says off) and could some kind soul explain what the little do-dahs are up the top please? I'm sure I'll get the hang of it sooner or later, but right now I'm finding it a little difficult - rather like swimming in a croc infested lake in Cooktown.

I understand the 'Preview' and 'Submit' boxes, not too sure on the 'Save' one.

Either the writing has become incredibly smaller all of a sudden and difficult to read, or I've suddenly aged 20 years - uh make that 40 years! in the last 10 minutes and ready for the assisted living department of the local "Twilight Home" :-))

And are the names of members online visible or are they hidden or do we need to press a button thingy to see them?

Can't think of anything else just at the moment, but I have an idea I'll probably be a real pain and find a few more as the day wears on. Sorry bout that.
Cheers. :D
P.S. I like the little green fellow up the top but I can't seem to get his face here so I had to go with the yellow bloke.
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

Whistler

Share on Orkut

Oops, forgot to click on the "Notify me when a reply is posted."

Hey Hydro, I like the "Preview" - at last you can proof read your post before posting. That's great that you have this feature now. (Do you know how many times I used to have to "edit" my posts to fix up spelling typos? If I had a dollar for every time I did that I'd be a wealthy woman) Hehehe

I have to work out now how to have a sig line.

P.S. (Yes another one) What is the function of the 'save' box underneath please?
Thank you.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

Whistler

Share on Orkut

Sorry, just realised my sig line is there, my mistake. Congrats on the new look btw, it's certainly much easier when typing.
Congrats too cos my custom title is there and all (I've made the thumbs up sign)

Is there some way of
a) Going back and editing your post to add something (instead of making another post)
b) Being able to read the previous posts while typing a post?

Thanks.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

Whistler, the FAQ link at the top of the page will answer a lot of your questions about the new features. Also, if you click on the 'BBCode is ON' link when you're about to post you'll get a very detailed run-down on what BBCode is, which is basically the same thing as what you were using on the old boards in order to add links, bolds, etc to your posts.

Try the 'view more smilies' link if you wish to see the rest of the regular smilies for inside your posts.

And if you scroll down when you're creating your post you'll see all the of the previous posts available for you to read.
Looking for a travel deal? deals.BootsnAll.com
Support a developing world entrepreneur. Join the BootsnAll Kiva Group

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

The new boards look great. :)

Rather then there being a column where it says who created the topic, it says who created the topic below the title of the topic, along with the date and time... it just comes across as being overwhelming and harder to sift through topics. Maybe it's just me and I'll get used to it with time. I edit like crazy too! Will that ability come back?

Also - I clicked on a link for the boards while browsing on Bootsnall, and it took me to the old boards.bootsnall.com/eve link, which ended up telling me that I'd searched for all posts with the term "eve" in it.

michey_b

Niagara Addict

Share on Orkut

Ok ive been on a couple of times now and think im adjusting and figuring things out. I have to say a lot of things i like about it guys a big thumbs up! :tup:
The one thing thats gonna take some getting used to is finding the specific forums and their new order.

One question and maybe its a blonde moment - i looked and looked before asking - but is the chat room no more? have i missed something or just being dumb (which is often the case lol)

Michelle

Sean

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Mich,

We will adjust the order of the forums shortly.

As for chat - I don't see it now either - there are some plugins that will allow us to add it potentially. Any other folks miss the chat?
-----
Director of Boots
Dream. Search. Go.
http://airfare.bootsnall.com
http://twitter.com/SEKeener

elAdi

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I would probably agree on the 'post reply' link issue Stoo points out. I know, we will all get used to it. But it does blend a bit too much at the moment.

I know how it is to change web environments - mostly it's a problem of the user not being willing to adjust. Hence, I won't complain.
I do have a suggestion though: the possibility to sort post within a thread is great. I'd use that. However, the sorting tools being at the bottom of a thread sort of beats the purpose. I'd look into moving it up next to the search field.

Otherwise, it's all good.

a.
My personal travel website
Cycling from Indonesia to India (09-11) Fabebook Page
----------------------------------------------
"Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

Next

Return to Feedback, Ideas, Compliments and Complaints