Tell us what you think of BootsnAll.com. The good, the bad and the ugly - whatever is on your mind. Let us know what new features and information you'd like to see. Suggest ways we can make the BootsnAll community even stronger. Be honest.

New Design

HooleyHoop

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 3rd, 2011
Hi,

Just wanted to say that I love the new design you guys have put in place today. Much slicker and easier to read.

I also love the integration with the main site which I think is the first time this has been done! Provides a nice joined up feel!

Chris

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

Thanks, Chris. Glad you like it.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I actually do really like the design. It's pretty slick, good colours and does fit nicely with the rest of your site. But I am wondering whether the header could be slimmed down a bit. Remove or reduce the size of the article-related pictures would be my preference. Maybe have a small thumbnail with the title to the right so that it's not so huge. Also, any chance of an article randomizer? I'm not sure there's any value added - for you or for us - by seeing the same three articles on every page. Right now the front forum page, the first forum doesn't show up until 3/4 of the way down...this seems like too much header before getting to content.

On the posting page that I'm on now, there's no article list, and the proportions look much nicer.

Fluffy_bunny

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

It definitely needs to be trimmed down. For those of us on the road or living in countries where internet is somewhat lacking, the changes have significantly slowed down loading time. If this is a forum for travellers, then this is a major concern.
For tips and storied on Central Asia, the Middle East and Central America, check out my blog
http://joestrippin.blogspot.com

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

I've noticed a slow down since the change as well, but that could be more to do with some tweaks and bugs we need to sort out rather than the need for changes to the design. In the meantime, the option to switch back to the old design is available in a link in the right column if that helps speed things up for you.

Markus

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

I like the direction of the new design, but I find it a tad bulkier. I'm really not a fan of the featured content header, but I'd find it less awkward/unbalanced/intrusive if it dynamically filled my browser width with more than three blocks. I use a widescreen monitor, but browse at about half my screen width. It just looks really unbalanced with those three images hanging on the left side. They could also be slimmed down, but mostly it just feels like the page is incomplete with all that white space hanging on the right.

My only other criticism is that the forum index is really bulky now. I feel like it takes forever to scroll down. This is partially because of the number of forums, but mostly it's because of the average 'Last post' column running to four rows.

Map with Rural Routes,
Roads, and T...
by karen121
Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:54 am

I'd say we don't need to see who made the last post. The font size could be brought down as well.

Technical concerns:

- On Chrome 9.0.597.107 for Mac (10.5.8), the WYSISYG buttons on posts don't work. ie: B, i, u, Quote, Code, List, etc.
- The 'Use old theme' option doesn't work. It shows the index in the old theme, then reverts to the new theme when you click a forum.

All in all, I like the new direction.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 4th, 2011
The reason I left Thorn Tree for BNA was their revamp made posting (on dial up at the time) an unbearably slow agony, now you have managed to accomplish the same thing.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Jester

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 5th, 2011
I like it.

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 6th, 2011
Everything's bigger, which makes it easier to read. But at the same time, I am on a netbook, so bigger means more scrolling.

Either way, I'm sure I'll get used to it, no problems. I like the blue, any way to change the old green on the right to fit the blue theme?

anuraglidl

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 9th, 2011
I too like the new design very much. It look nice.

KathrynD

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2011
I'm afraid I don't like this new design becuase of all the stuff up top. Too much space with photos and things that move. I really don't like all that stuff on the top of the boards. Now I have to scroll half way down the page before I get to anything useful. Is there a way to hide all the stuff up top?

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 20th, 2011
KathrynD wrote:I'm afraid I don't like this new design becuase of all the stuff up top. Too much space with photos and things that move. I really don't like all that stuff on the top of the boards. Now I have to scroll half way down the page before I get to anything useful. Is there a way to hide all the stuff up top?

Just use the old theme, it's also significantly faster.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2011
I switched back to the old one. Maybe when I'm at home on my Mac the new site will appeal to me but right now I'm traveling and using my netbook so not only is the page slow it also means the header is my entire screen when I visit the BB, and it's the same 3 articles I'm not interested in anyway so I don't see the point of it just now.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2011
The point is the majority rules, which was just reinforced to me this aft when the community association, where my casa in El Salvador, is located voted to make it a (horrid,GATED, community[/u] :twisted:

At least BNA gave us the option (for now) of staying with the old theme. 8-) Something TT didn't do when they switched to a new look, which led me here. :horsie:

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 4th, 2011
There must be some kind of other bad redesign going on.

The new design is ok, but I prefer the old one, if only because the new heading is so huge I have to always scroll down to see the messages, on every page. I have a small 11' display.

Now the date of entry for each post seems to have gone missing, which is quite annoying indeed.

Next

Return to Feedback, Ideas, Compliments and Complaints