Travel writing seems like a dream job: a life on the road, going exotic places, writing whenever you wanted and getting paid for it too! Get tips on how to break into the business, learn more about what it's really like working as a travel writer and get feedback on your own stories.

New journal of travel and places seeks submissions!

worldwearyjournal

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: journal, submissions, international, publishing, writing, publish
  • Added on: May 3rd, 2010
World-Weary, a new international journal of travel and places is now seeking submissions. World-Weary will be published in the US, UK, Netherlands, Canada and online at World-Weary.com. Send all submissions and/or questions to WorldWearyJournal [at] gmail.com. May 10, 2010 is the submission deadline for the inaugural Summer 2010 issue. (Submission guidelines are also available at World-Weary.com)

About World-Weary:

World-Weary is first and foremost a journal of places. People now travel more than ever, yet there is a dearth of intelligent, thoughtful, long-form writing about the spaces in which people live, work, and visit. Though humans have explored most of this planet, these feats are meaningless unless we are able to create in-depth reflections on our experiences.

Non-fiction literature about people and places will form the majority of the World-Weary's content, but essays, histories, fiction, interviews, satire, investigations, and other forms of written expression will also be featured.

Why does the world need another literary magazine? Based on our experiences as writers, readers, critics, and journalists, no publication that is currently in circulation meets our personal criteria of consistently attracting the type of talent and stories that we love and continue to pique our interests.

Please see World-Weary.com for additional information.

Many thanks and best regards,

Stephen Robert Morse

Markus

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 3rd, 2010
For anyone else wondering, I emailed to ask about pay rates for articles and photos and received this:

To be completely upfront, as a fledgling organization we will not be able to pay writers for their work on this inaugural issue, and we completely understand if it is not feasible for you and other writers to submit work for publication for that reason. We, as graduate students, are fully funding this effort out of our own pockets. However, we will definitely be able to promote all of our writers' work that they would like us to promote using our web site and print edition (similar to the Huffington Post business model). Also, we aren't doing photos. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I wonder if they buy groceries and pay their rent with exposure on their website?

Devin of TWL

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 21st, 2010
Hi Markus,

I totally get where you are coming from and I think that these grad school folks should pony up a few bucks each and pay the writers of their stories something -- I think it is the decent thing to do. I would also say that World Weary probably will not be able to do much by way of promoting their writers via their web site and print. Promoting writers will take a while to develop and marketing is a bunch of work. Comparing themselves to the Huffington Post model might be a little premature, but it is true HP does not pay their bloggers -- at least the bloggers that I know.

However, while you might pass on this type of opportunity, someone will take it and that person will get a fresh clip from a print magazine, and for a new writer this is a good thing. From personal experience, writing for free has opened some doors for me in the travel world. Now I edit a good, but small, online travel zine. I don't get much and I don't pay much, but I always pay for both features and blogs. While I am short on dollars, some writer have moved on to better things because they built a body of work. I have assigned some writers to press trips as thank yous. I have passed a few names to bigger editors (it is a small world) with more money and more possibilities when appropriate.

Truthfully, I hope that World Weary succeeds because it would be the only way they will become a paying market for writers down the road -- like BootsnAll eventually did. And as a lover of travel and travel writing, I think, there should be more magazines promoting travel. My two cents.

Best,
devin

JR_TheDriftersBlog

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 22nd, 2010
Devin of TWL wrote:However, while you might pass on this type of opportunity, someone will take it and that person will get a fresh clip from a print magazine, and for a new writer this is a good thing. From personal experience, writing for free has opened some doors for me in the travel world.

Truthfully, I hope that World Weary succeeds because it would be the only way they will become a paying market for writers down the road -- like BootsnAll eventually did. And as a lover of travel and travel writing, I think, there should be more magazines promoting travel. My two cents.

i completely agree with you devin, i think this is a wonderful idea to get a collaboration of different talents. in my experience, projects like this encourage many to explore creative sides they sometimes never knew they had or never had the time to develop. sometimes, it's not about the money, its more about the expression of personal creativity. and when you reach a point where it become feasible, money will become a part of the equation.

i wish more ideas like this would be launched. i wish world weary the best!
JR@ DriftersBlog.com "The Drifters Blog" has tips, thoughts & inspiration for your next trip!

Markus

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 22nd, 2010
I agree that it's valid for some people to work for exposure, but I found it somewhat backhanded that the World Weary team seemed to go out of their way to not mention the lack of remuneration in their 1,171 word submissions guidelines.

The purpose of my posting their response was simply to save time for those who don't work for free.

Darcy Perkins

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 23rd, 2010
I think they should at least offer their authors a complimentary copy of the issue they are published in...

Devin of TWL

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 24th, 2010
I would agree that it can be a good idea to work for exposure. Again, I don't this opportunity is good for exposure, but for experience and a print byline.

Mark, your last note made me curious, so I visited their site. You're right. No mention of non-payment. Kind of greasy if you ask me. Even worse, I found their guidelines sarcastic and self-important for folks just starting out. For me, this makes them look like a bad bet. While I am fine with the concept of working to build a resume and getting clips, I would be much more selective in who I offered my services.

Still, I wish them luck and maybe with time and experience WW may develop

Return to Travel Writing