Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

New REI Vagabond?

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Tags: gear, backpack
  • Added on: December 19th, 2010
Anyone have any idea when REI are bringing out their new Vagabond backpack? Their old one is sold out by the looks of it, disappeared off the site, and I heard a rumour that a new one is coming out soon. Anyone heard anything?

AceTracer

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 25th, 2010
I have the previous REI Vagabond, never used. I'll sell it to you for $35.

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 26th, 2010
Very, very tempted. Also interested in seeing how REI might improve upon it. What would postage to Australia be?

MaCheezm0

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 29th, 2010
The new one is posted on the REI website. The previous 2010 one was 45.9L, this current one for 2011 is 38L. My brother got his in 2009 and it was a 43L.

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 30th, 2010
Oooh, thanks for the heads-up. It sure wasn't there when I posted the original post. I'll go have a look :) Disappointed it's gone down to 38L. While I'm looking at travelling light, I didn't want to go much below 45L. Will check it out though.

MaCheezm0

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 3rd, 2011
Ya, it isn't even in stores yet, well atleast in Los Angeles area it says not available. I want to check it out. 38L isn't bad, I like traveling with a 33L so I can put it under the seat in front of me on the plane and have all my stuff in hand. If the 38 can do that, I'd be sold =)

AceTracer

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 3rd, 2011
Hey LilaBear, I forgot I gave that bag to my brother and sister-in-law. Sorry.

It's a good looking bag with a lot of neat features, but at 3 lbs. 9 oz. it's waaaay too heavy for me. By comparison, my go to bag is 14 oz. That's almost a 3 lb difference, when my entire bag usually weighs 6-8 lbs. Also, the bag stretches the limits of carry-on capabilities. Mine was 22" long, and most airlines have a 21x14x9 restriction. REI even mentions this in their listing.

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 4th, 2011
No problems.

I'm aware that technically it is a smidge bigger than the minimal carry-on restrictions, but I've talked to people who say that they (and friends with the bag) have had no problems getting it onto planes, even RyanAir.

I am not too concerned about the weight. I think I saw a post you did reviewing your current bag and that just looks too flimsy for me (if it was indeed your review), I want something I can use for short hikes too. I'm a small girl and my clothing etc. doesn't weigh that much, so I can afford for my bag to weigh a bit more :) Thanks for the heads-up though.

MaCheezm0

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 7th, 2011
I too like how the Patagonia looks because it is light weight. But I like something more sturdy since I like to walk a lot or hike when I travel. The Vagabond might be perfect for you, it will teach you how to pack less ;) I recently traveled with a 33L and I loved how it fit under the seat in front of me on the airplane so I had my stuff right next to me and made a nice foot rest. I don't think I will want to go any bigger now :D

broccoli

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 10th, 2011
I spoke with REI customer service last week - the new vagabond is expected to be in stock online the end of this month, and available in stores mid-February.

frankiem

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 10th, 2011
sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if you can buy this or something like it anywhere in europe because it delivery is pretty expensive with REI.

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 6th, 2011
yeah, I've pretty much decided I won't be buying a pack from REI because the postage to Australia is ridiculous :(

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets