Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Nicaragua Surfing

Jbro33

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Tags: surfing, nicaragua, Surf Camps, Lodges, central america
  • Added on: July 18th, 2014
Hey everyone,

Need some help. I have been researching Nicaragua surfing lodges and trips and I am very overwhelmed. There are not a whole lot of reviews out there, that I can rely on so I am taking it to my favorite people;

I will be traveling solo. I can't find anyone to go, there loss, not mine :) so I am looking for a lodge that doesn't have an outrageous single supp fee. (a lot of them do!)

Second I am basic beginner. All of the lodges appear to have beginner classes, some seem to be more intermediate, advance. Just not ready for point break or anything crazy like that ;)

I have 7-9 days.

Not sure when i am going, so if you have a recommended time frame of the best time of year I am all ears. Thanks!

Jennifer

Ddrezner

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 25th, 2014
I looked them up, and am equally confused. I don't blame you. What I do in this case is determine what kind of accomodations you can afford, and pick the ones with the best reviews and facilities. Sometimes Eeny Meeny is all you have, but you jump anyways. Look for bulletin boards involving surfing, look them on Hostel world and Virtual tourist...Their reviews are often useful. If it has a lot of great reviews recently, off you go, after looking specifically for a bulletin board that specializes in Surfing....

Let me know what you find out, and oh, I think the volunteer place is overpriced just for surfing.

At the end of a day, this is what you get with a cabana:
One bed
One night table
One mosquito net.
If you are lucky, and pay for it, a bathroom.
If you want more, you pay a lot more. Look for cabanas with mosquito netting in the windows if you can.
Oh, one more thing. A fan. Overhead fans blow away both the mosquitoes and the hot air!

I'm sure, if it has great reviews, you'll have a great time!

Oh, one more thing: To get there, you will probably fly in through Managua. Unless they arrange pickup, arrange to be OUT of Managua the same night, unless... there is some kind of bus you need to take from there early the next day! You can get to Granada in a half hour to forty five minutes for about 15 dollars or less, depending on whether you take a public bus to managua or a private shuttle..... The lodge, if it is responsible, will have instructions for you!
Tortuga traveller

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 8th, 2015
Ddrezner wrote:Oh, one more thing: To get there, you will probably fly in through Managua. Unless they arrange pickup, arrange to be OUT of Managua the same night, unless... there is some kind of bus you need to take from there early the next day! You can get to Granada in a half hour to forty five minutes for about 15 dollars or less, depending on whether you take a public bus to managua or a private shuttle..... The lodge, if it is responsible, will have instructions for you!

San Juan del Sur is actually closer to the international airport at Liberia, Costa Rica, than it is to Managua. With border crossing, travel time is about the same from Liberia and Managua.

There are quite a few surf camps near San Juan del Sur. The town itself is tacky and touristy, but the nearby coastline is a great surf area with reliable offshore winds. Playa Maderas has one of the better breaks, as well as accommodations of varying quality and pricing. It's a short hop from SJdS.

Return to Central America Travel