Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in London with a 12-hour layover.

No stamp entering Schengen Area!!!

Dustin Brett

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 18th, 2011
So I was just in the British Isles for 2 months and took a bus from London to Paris via the Chunnel. The problem is that I did not get a stamp in my passport on the way to Paris. I am a Canadian citizen and intend to stay in the Schengen Area for my maximum 90 days allowed within a 180 day period. So I am just worried that when I go to exit after my 90 days that I will get in trouble and be assumed as a person who either entered illegally or stayed longer than allowed. What should I do?
Flickr / TravelPod

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

You can either

1: go to the Paris police or immigration office and get your schengen stamp. The worst they can do is ship you back to london again, with instructions to do right.

2. Keep on going and exit out of a lax country. I bet, though, that if you explain your situation to the immigration people, they'll be glad to give you a stamp. They should have stamped you at the train station, naturally, so there MUST be a stamping station there. Go to it and say- oops, I forgot to get stamped. They will probably be glad to see your details recorded.

If you worry about this, or about the consequences, this is probably the best thing to do since worry will ruin a trip as much as anything else.

Whatever you do, don't do back to England, and to boot, come in on a one way ticket. They're paranoid about those kind of things until you get it sorted out.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Don't worry about it. Some border points fail to stamp. Nobody will think twice about a westerner without a stamp. If anything, this makes your life easier because there's no record or your entry, so when you leave no one's going to go and calculate the number of days you've been there.

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 20th, 2011
I agree in that I just wouldn't worry about it- if you're a Westerner I find it highly unlikely that they would ever bother to look at your incoming stamp etc or that they'll even ask how long you've been around. If you're nervous, just hold onto your train ticket stub and it'd likely be enough to explain things in that 0.1% chance that someone actually inquires.

Mind I'm in Europe now having not been stamped in at the airport in Brussels (the immigration guy *did* stamp but maybe he was low on ink, I can't find the stamp in my passport anywhere) so I'm testing out my theory right now. ;) Honestly I've never been asked a single thing leaving Europe and often don't even get a stamp out, and they're the most lax border protection I've ever encountered so not gonna start worrying now.

Return to Europe Travel