Offers insights on how to find an accessible room and suggest air travel tips for wheelers and slow walkers. Dish info on the best airline bathrooms and the hassle-free ways to deal with airport security.

Obesity possible disability, especially while travelling?

travelclown

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 3rd, 2007
Good luck on your weight loss Dreamer Helen!
But know that you don't have to lose weight to realize your travel dreams. Actually, travelling might help you to shed a few pounds: you walk a lot, don't eat as much as you would at home if you're on a budget, and it makes you feel good about yourself (which in turn, could entice you to take care of yourself).

Because of my health problems, I've had my share of misadventures and have endured loads of embarassing moments. And trust me, when you'll find yourself in your living room looking at your photos from Africa, Asia or wherever, you won't care about the look the flight attendant gave you when you asked for a seat-belt extension...

DreamerHelen

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 3rd, 2007
Oh I know...I was really embarrassed to ask for a Seatbelt Extension on the RyanAir Flight to Krakow in February...but then I just thought what the hell and went out there and had a great time!!

I think the main reason I want to lose weight is NOT because I can't travel being like I am, but simply because it is better for my health to drop a few pounds (ok, more than a few LoL)...

But the thing that helps is that I work so bloody hard (about 4 different jobs) that I rarely have time to do anything but work and sleep..LoL...

travelclown

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 4th, 2007
Just a little word for JEDIMASTERBOOBOO, the one who started this whole conversation. My favorite quote comes from the movie "The Shawshank Redemption":

"You either get busy living or you get busy dying..."

You friend can stay home and deal with the regular problems she deals with in her daily life (I'm sure her life isn't easy and she gets stared at there too anyways...), or, you could suggest that she come to see you in the Philippines. She would then have to deal with a whole new set of problems, but she would, without a doubt, have the experience of a lifetime...

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 4th, 2007
quote:
"You either get busy living or you get busy dying..."

"He not busy being born is busy dying."
-- Bob Dylan

"We are born astride the grave."
-- Waiting for Godot, by Beckett

travelclown

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 5th, 2007
Euh... In your Bob Dylan quote we are all busy dying at the moment.

Thanks but I prefer mine. I feel like I'm busy living!

Same topics, very different meanings...

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 5th, 2007
I strongly suspect that Stephen King got it from Bob Dylan...

travelclown

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 6th, 2007
Don't know what to say to that.

Don't think we're talking about the subject anymore... Darth Mavis

Tracy Ann

Gotta love the GB

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 23rd, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by Keppie:
Personally, if I was sitting next to a stranger, no way I'd let them lift the armrest... not to be mean, but I value my personal space.

This is definitely an issue for me... I get VERY upset when the person next to me is touching me - whether it be because they are overweight, tall, rude or whatever. We both paid for our space, you stay in yours, I'll stay in mine.

That being said, my ever-widening hips and thighs are now dangerously close to overflowing my own seat, and this makes me paranoid. I don't want to get into someone else's space, like I have a right to it, that would just be hypocritical... It's a good motivation to lose some weight though...

Skyehiker

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 29th, 2008
The catch-22 is that some airlines...not all...have a policy that the seats with the most room for stretching out, the exit rows, are not allowed for persons requiring seat-belt extenders...and that's not likely changing any time soon.

I don't think it's the case for AA/American, but it was on a Delta flight I was on: I still remember once when I had an exit row, window seat, and this person sat next to me that was truly beyond, beyond, beyond obese, pretty much spackling me into the window (and I'm 6'6"), with no regard whatsoever that she was taking up nearly all of my seat in addition to hers. If I was any smaller of a person (and there's plenty of people that would be), she'd have easily, fully taken up both seats. The flight attendant quoted the regulations, and in a very professional way pointed out the awkwardness of needing to keep the exit row unobstructed and how difficult it would understandably be for her to move quickly in that situation, and she had to move elsewhere.

In terms of the "stares & glares" problem, perhaps the obesity can't be controlled as easily as one would want but what one chooses to carry on the the plane in terms of hand luggage can be, regardless of size. And, that's coming from a person who's 6'^6", not fat, just tall, yet my clothes are quite large, and I can't always pack as much as I'd like in my carry-ons. (I NEVER, NEVER check luggage, but that's another story). One thing that does get a lot of stares is when people come on carrying on everything & the kitchen sink with them, taking forever to stow their bags, trying to stuff bags into bins that are already full, not stepping into the aisle of their seat so others could keep walking down the aisle during boarding, etc. If you can get on that plane & get your stuff sorted quickly & smoothly, no one will have time to notice.

My sympathies to those for whom their obesity is truly, truly beyond their control, along with kudos to those who can control it and are putting in the albeit painful, grueling exercise & diet plans needed to make it happen.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

DreamerHelen

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 5th, 2008
What a fantastic post Skyehiker!! Smile

I'm still trying to control my Weight...it's become a lifelong battle for me. One of the things that I decided to do was to give myself a Goal for when I've lost all the weight that I want to lose...I decided that my "Reward" would be travelling...that gives me some motivation to carry on (although I have so many health problems it's unbelieveable!! LoL)

MsLibrarian

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 4th, 2010
I'm overweight as well and have been all my life. But I'm also quite active (aquasize a few times a week, walking, etc) but my years of playing hockey have taken their toll and now I"m suffering from back problems.

I've never been really self concious about my weight when I travel, but I've been self concious about how I'm dressed, etc. I'm a bit of a tomboy, jeans and t-shirt type of gal. That makes you stick out on the tube in London.

I leave in 3 weeks for Sweden and for the first time I'm really worried about being out of place. This is the land of tall and skinny. Will I be pointed and laughed at? Stuff like that. :(

Previous

Return to Travel with Disabilities