Offers insights on how to find an accessible room and suggest air travel tips for wheelers and slow walkers. Dish info on the best airline bathrooms and the hassle-free ways to deal with airport security.

Odds stacked against me? I say I'm going to see the world.

caramia

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 16th, 2008
Yikes. After hitting reply I finally looked at the date on this thread and realize now that it's seven years old, but I still wanted to give my thumbs up.

I'm still in the planning stages of my RTW trip and now have to figure out how to do it since I was diagnosed with MS last week. My doctor laughed when one of the first questions I asked at my first meeting with her was about the stability of medication and how it would affect my traveling.

I know there are other people out there who are making this work and I'm glad to find a few of them here on this site - even if I am seven years late. Wink

luciinthesky

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 12th, 2008
Hi Caramia,

I just wanted to add my two cents of encouragement for your travels.

I have lost 75 percent of my vision, but that didn't stop me from recently walking the Camino de Santiago, 400 miles across Spain.

You will never know what you are capable of doing until you give it a try! If you ever need encouragement, just let me know.

Luci

http://luciwalks.wordpress.com/

mynetdude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 12th, 2010
I know this is another old thread, just alittle over 2 years old now.

I don't have MS so don't take pity on me :D (oh and I'm not suggesting anyone else got any either) and I hear about people who beat the odds all the time, I haven't met many people that have and I know there are quite a few out there.

I was born with congenital rubella so I can't relate to MS so I will keep it brief because this thread is about MS and those with MS going for it. I also have vision & hearing problems neither has stopped me from doing what I've been doing and I finally got the traveling bug even though I'm already 31 :(. I have always liked to travel since I was 16, I have always liked airplanes and trains long before that.

I have done just less than 12,000 miles of air travel in the past month and will be traveling again after the holidays. It wouldn't be for my mom and teachers who taught me how to do things on my own (get a taxi, bus, whatever from the airport) now I can take that a step further and get my own hotel/hostel, shuttle, etc.

I'm going for it, so should you; I was actually quite nervous because I was unsure how safe some environments would be (such as New York City) but my fears were unfounded. My fears were two fold: my disabilities and the media and so far I don't seem to be having much trouble. (and the only troubles I seem to be having are only my own fault :D)

No matter how less or how severe your conditions may be, even if they are deteriorating (such as mine) keep going don't ever stop :)

Previous

Return to Travel with Disabilities