Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

One way Plane ticket Central America

mcclure1050

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: central america
  • Added on: December 11th, 2010
I am looking for some Info I will be traveling solo with a backpack and tent. I am going to buy a one way plane ticket probably to belize. I do not plan to return to the states for a very long time this will be the start of my world travels. Is it easy to find side work in central america? How long can I stay in each country? Is it easy to camp in a tent throughout central america?

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

mcclure1050 wrote:Is it easy to find side work in central america?

No. Why do you think millions of Central Americans move to the US and elsewhere without work papers? Especially if you don't speak Spanish, your chances of finding work that pays anything comparable to US wages are between zero and i. I've bartended in Guatemala and Costa Rica tourist spots (still need good Spanish), and was paid between $1 and $2 an hour.

How long can I stay in each country?

Depends on the country. Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua are all CA-4 countries. Your stay in that bloc is limited to 90 days, after which you have to get stamped out of the bloc.

Is it easy to camp in a tent throughout central america?

Not any harder than elsewhere, but not advisable. Camping isn't commonly done in Central America, and certainly not secure.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Also, if you're looking at living on a super-low budget, I wouldn't recommend starting in Belize. Belize is the most expensive of all Central American countries. A normal backpacker budget for Belize is $40-50/day in Belize. If you are willing to forego any activities (scuba diving, alcohol) and eat rice and beans and tuna from a can, you can live much more cheaply.

$15/day is not terribly difficult in Guatemala or Nicaragua, for what would be 40-50 in Belize.

mcclure1050

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Thank you guys for your posts it is helpfull I plan on selling everything I have and travel the globe who know I may not be back for 10 years. Is there any country in the world where it is easy to become a citizen or even disapear and live off the land? I have much training in survival from being in the military and would love to find a place to build a little one room cottage, hunt fish and farm for my food any ideas on this?

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

mcclure1050 wrote:Thank you guys for your posts it is helpfull I plan on selling everything I have and travel the globe who know I may not be back for 10 years. Is there any country in the world where it is easy to become a citizen or even disapear and live off the land? I have much training in survival from being in the military and would love to find a place to build a little one room cottage, hunt fish and farm for my food any ideas on this?

Citizenship depends on your background. If you have an Irish or Italian grandparent, you can gain citizenship in those countries, and have rights in the rest of the EU. If your mother is Jewish, you can gain Israeli citizenship.

I don't understand the need to leave the US for a survivalist life. There aren't many countries with gun laws as liberal as those of the US. If you don't have ancestors from a certain country, it's generally quite difficult to gain citizenship unless you are rich and plan on investing in that country.

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 12th, 2010
I am going to agree with Felix on both citizenship and living off the land. Short of money, marriage, or ancestry gaining citizenship in another country isn't all that easy to come by. And, if you want to live off the land, the USA is as good as any especially considering the citizenship (or probably more accurately the right of abode) issues you'd be facing.

Fluffy_bunny

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 12th, 2010
You can't just show up somewhere and build. You need land rights. Usually this mean buying the plot of land. Many countries will not grant land rights to foreigners, meaning you'll need to co-sign with a local. It's a long and drawn out procedure. As for citizenship, if it were easy to gain any old citizenship you wanted, everyone would be doing it.

While your gumption is commendable, it's not all that realistic. You're leaving the States with what seems like very little to no money hoping to fund a 10 year trip? Best of luck :?
For tips and storied on Central Asia, the Middle East and Central America, check out my blog
http://joestrippin.blogspot.com

aguadulche

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 13th, 2010
Just to add, most countries allow US citizens 30-90 days entry without a visa. Then you go out. Visa runs are discouraged.

Here is the wiki entry that gives you the list of countries where you can arrive without a visa -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requi ... s_citizens

It always helps giving a brief backgrounder about yourself, so that people can get a sense of where you are coming from.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 13th, 2010
[quote="aguadulche"]Just to add, most countries allow US citizens 30-90 days entry without a visa. Then you go out. Visa runs are discouraged.

Know people in both Guatemala & El Salvador that have been doing visa runs for years.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

aguadulche

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 19th, 2010
busman7 wrote:
aguadulche wrote:Just to add, most countries allow US citizens 30-90 days entry without a visa. Then you go out. Visa runs are discouraged.

Know people in both Guatemala & El Salvador that have been doing visa runs for years.

Yes, I do know, however I think one should not take that as a given. I know some countries abruptly change rules, which is their right to do, then what ? It is better to be cautious. Dont you think ?

Return to Central America Travel