Figure out the best way to get from Central to South America, when you should book your accommodations for Carnaval and local language school recommendations. If it's on South America, it's in this forum.

Oral Surgeons in Colombia?

MarcMadness

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 24th, 2011
Oral Surgeons in Colombia?
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Colombia this July. Incidentally she also needs to get a root canal and several crowns (not emergencies so they can wait a few months), so we figure we may as well look into getting it done in Colombia for much cheaper and use the savings to swank out our trip a little more than it would have been otherwise. Of course, we wouldn't be comfortable doing this without thorought research, so I figured this would be a good place to start.

If anyone has any recommends with oral surgeons in Colombia we'd love to hear about it. Probably just looking to do Cartagena and Medellin (I think we'd prefer to have the root canal done in Cartagena so she can recover on the beach, but open to anything). If anybody has experience doing this or any resources they could point us to it would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks!

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 24th, 2011
I would suggest searching these two sites:

http://poorbuthappy.com/colombia/

http://colombia.vanillaforums.com/

You'll probably find plenty of recommendations.
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 25th, 2011
If it was just a basic filling I wouldn't think it's an issue, but for something as significant as a root canal and crowns, I would NOT be risking foreign dentists. If a root canal is not done properly she will end up in a lot of pain, screwing up your holiday (at least for a while) and forcing you to spend more money getting it fixed. Not to mention, you generally only get the crown on a few months after the initial root canal procedure (which itself takes two separate appointments a few weeks apart). So you'll either be stuck in the one place for several months or using several dentists to finish the same procedure. It may be dragged out over more appointments if they don't properly remove the root (this is why they don't put the permanent filling in straight away - they put in a temporary filling, wait a few weeks, then check again before putting the permanent filling in, wait a few more months then put the crown on.)

I'm not saying foreign dentists are incapable. I'm saying that if something does get screwed up, it makes things a lot worse for you because you're on holiday rather than at home. You'll also potentially have a language barrier which I think would be unhelpful.

I know I sure wouldn't risk getting a root canal done anywhere but home. I had a root canal done a few years ago, and my dentist was amazing, but EVERYONE else I know who's had a root canal has experienced significant pain with it. I wouldn't risk it. But maybe that's just me because I hate dental work so much. I just don't want you thinking a root canal is a simple process like a filling or a cap or something.

circusoflife

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 4th, 2011
I've lived in Medellin for the last 4 years. I had my first root canal earlier this year. No crown..just a six-surface filling.

She only speaks Spanish...professional place...

if you need English I can recommend a place that has all the latest tech (Digital x-rays,etc..)...but their prices are higher (Relative speaking - because they get foreign tourists).....I went there for a consultation, but did not use their services...their office is spic n span modern. They gave me a quote on Root canal, and crown, and post.

This is a photo of the complex for the English speaking place...Centro Comercial Piazza Bella. I don't remember the name..but I can make a point of finding out if u want.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dairocorrea/3901013880/

Return to South America Travel