Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Panama....proof of onward travel?

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 10th, 2010
Not sure but most of the passengers were Spanish speaking & could very well have been Panamanians returning home, others may have had onward tickets but only the 3 of us were digging around in our bags to find our tickets.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 10th, 2010
busman7 wrote:Not sure but most of the passengers were Spanish speaking & could very well have been Panamanians returning home, others may have had onward tickets but only the 3 of us were digging around in our bags to find our tickets.

Well I will definitely come armed with a "fake" airplane voucher just to be safe.
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 16th, 2010
I've flown into Panama, and walked in and bused in. At the border crossing Sixaola /Guabito,they make you buy a return bus ticket from this shop close to the crossing. I am convinced this ticket money is going in someone's pocket,though. This is the only border where I have experienced someone asking for onward travel. In the days of the E Ticket, it's hard to prove anyway. Go to a site, download and print prospective itinerary if you are worried. That'll be good enough. at the Six/Gaub border, don't get into the line if you don't have something to prove onward travel. The place is on the Costa Rica side. It is a building connected to the raised level road by a bridge. Walk straight through to the back of the building and ask for your ticket....Then get into the line. If you are coming FROM Panama, do the same thing. Walk right past the border kiosk and straight to this place. On the left if you are coming from Panama, on the right from Costa Rica.

I agree that you have to spiff up if you are crossing a border always. Don't approach all dissheveled and out of sorts. Take the time to be presentable, and you'll be better off. I've seen people rebuffed at the borders before. Two Goth girls. A Punk couple...and a white Rastafarian. They went dressed as their chosen following suggested, and it didn't go well for them.
Good Luck Out There.

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 16th, 2010
Piecar wrote:I've flown into Panama, and walked in and bused in. At the border crossing Sixaola /Guabito,they make you buy a return bus ticket from this shop close to the crossing. I am convinced this ticket money is going in someone's pocket,though. This is the only border where I have experienced someone asking for onward travel. In the days of the E Ticket, it's hard to prove anyway. Go to a site, download and print prospective itinerary if you are worried. That'll be good enough. at the Six/Gaub border, don't get into the line if you don't have something to prove onward travel. The place is on the Costa Rica side. It is a building connected to the raised level road by a bridge. Walk straight through to the back of the building and ask for your ticket....Then get into the line. If you are coming FROM Panama, do the same thing. Walk right past the border kiosk and straight to this place. On the left if you are coming from Panama, on the right from Costa Rica.

I agree that you have to spiff up if you are crossing a border always. Don't approach all dissheveled and out of sorts. Take the time to be presentable, and you'll be better off. I've seen people rebuffed at the borders before. Two Goth girls. A Punk couple...and a white Rastafarian. They went dressed as their chosen following suggested, and it didn't go well for them.

I was at the Ticabus station in San Jose the other day and the sign there said you needed either $500 cash or a credit card. But I went ahead and printed out a fake airline itinerary just to be safe.

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 20th, 2010
Well I made it into Panama without too much problem using my fake airline ticket. Though the woman at migration still asked me a bunch of questions life: what is your profession, where are you going in Panama, how long will you be here and (my favorite), which bus did you come in on?

Previous

Return to Central America Travel