Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Panama Questions

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 20th, 2010
Piecar wrote:Hey, everybody travels different. I make an effort to talk to local people over other travellers, when I can.

So do I. They just happened to be Panamanian lawyers and businesspeople the last time around, rather than Panamanians living on $0.02 a day.

PTY is the only city in Central America where I would (am, actually) consider setting up a presence for my immigration practice. I've though on all my visits there that it would be a very livable place. I can't imagine living in Guatemala City or Tegucigalpa. Living in San Jose would be like living in Cleveland - probably not fatal, but somewhere at the bottom of the C-list. Panama City is international, it has a lot of commerce, good nightlife, excellent dining, and good connections from the airport. Probably half to the people in Panama live in or nearby the city, so you can't say that it's the exception to the rule for Panamanians.

And it sure as hell isn't David. This is a good thing.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Yeah, David's getting worse instead of better too. I was just there. That is one depressing town. On the other hand, if you need to buy some shoes, there are HUNDREDS of shoe stores there. I found that notable.

Oh, and busman. Thanks for the link. Seems a dead one now, but I can try and find it. Sorry, you'll probably one day run into me in Antigua, though. I'll keep a low profile for you. Maybe we'll do the Pub Quiz together and not even know.
Good Luck Out There.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I thought David was more dull than depressing, but they aren't necessarily exclusive of each other. I stayed at a hostel that was wallpapered with commandment-rules, so that might've had something to do with it. Not exactly the most endearing city though, flat and hot as all hell.

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

David the town where as soon as you get out of thee shower you need to jump right back in---found all the purple at the Purple House Hostel kind of neat.

Piecar actually was just kidding, should we meet at the Café No Sé I'll buy you a cerveza & we'll just agree to disagree. ;)
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Only been in there once, busman...But if you happen to be in El Muro...Every beer's on me. Though it's up for sale, and it may be a drastically different place when I return....Oh woe is me.
Good Luck Out There.

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 21st, 2010
Oh well you can't being from Ontario, it takes a Quebecer to really appreciate a dive, as No Sé proclaims it's self to be.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

KelownaKid18

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

I hate to say this, but I have decided to skip Panama on this trip and instead decided to start off in Venezuela instead since I have so little time. Thanks to all of you who gave me so much info!
---------------------------------
" and as for traveling alone, f*** it; if that's the way it has to be, then that's the way it is.."

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Well, THAT was a waste of time.

Stay out of Caracas if you can. It's pretty rough there. Though the Sabana Grande is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen, and Ciudad Bolivar is excellent.
Good Luck Out There.

JR_TheDriftersBlog

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 22nd, 2010
if you like the beach hit up bocas del toro...for cool (weather) atmosphere and pretty good food boquete is an interesting stop.
JR@ DriftersBlog.com "The Drifters Blog" has tips, thoughts & inspiration for your next trip!

Lucky Lala

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 28th, 2010
We are planning on driving from Panama to Costa Ricao February/March 2011. Can anyone provide any tips or information we require in order to cross the border between Panama into Costa Rica ?
Many thanks

IG

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 29th, 2010
Just a quick contribution...

As a non-23 year old male (and as an older than that female) but one who is familiar with this type of traveller (fun and up for anything right?) :), i'd strongly recommend you go to Bocas Del Toro and Panama City ....i mostly did smaller towns like boquete etc. and we didn't party much there...but hey, there is always more to do/see than what i've done. I've been to most countries in central america, and found honduras, costa rica, guetamala my favourites...best partying i've done btw was in the galapagos...go figure.

enjoy! i love that part of the world

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 30th, 2010
Lucky Lala wrote:We are planning on driving from Panama to Costa Ricao February/March 2011. Can anyone provide any tips or information we require in order to cross the border between Panama into Costa Rica ?
Many thanks

The Paso Canoas crossing on the Pan-American is pretty straightforward. Just make sure your car's paperwork is in order. I think Panama still fumigates all cars entering from Costa Rica, but that's about the only special procedure.

Previous

Return to Central America Travel