Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

panama to ecuador

drumbeat21

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 17th, 2008
What is the best and cheapest way to go from panama to ecuador. There will be 3 of us backpacking from costa rica to peru. Doing wwoof hostels and trying to do it all on a strict budget. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks and keep traveling.
Be Free

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

You're skipping Colombia? That's my favorite country on your route.

Anyhoo, if you're on a budget, sniff around the Panama City Yacht Club and the bulletin board at Voyagers International Hostel. A lot of times you can buy passage on boats to Ecuador (Guayaquil) or Colombia (Cartagena). It might be trickier with three people though.

The most straightforward option is a Copa flight from Panama City to Quito. They tend to be reasonable, although I don't have precise figures these days.

drumbeat21

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

we want to go through colombia but i keep getting advice to stay out and go around. We do not have a time limit on our travels. We plan to keep going as long as our finances hold up. I personally would like to make it to rio.
Be Free

SproutingSeed

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 18th, 2008
I one of the 3 on the trip...

I think 'drumbeat21' meant from Panama to Colombia. Then over land to Ecuador.

What's the cheapest way to get from Panama into Colombia, then over land to Ecuador? I would prefer to go over water, but if flying is cheaper, we would do that.
- Ian

"I don't want to be the guy that reads books and watches movies; I want to be the guy that people read books and watch movies about"

Backpack The Planet

jet-set jules

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 18th, 2008
Flying may be a little cheaper, but I think the experience of the sail from Panama to Colombia would be a very worthwhile addition to your trip. In my experience, getting a charter from Panama City to Cartegena, Colombia costs about $300-$400, but that includes not only your transportation costs, but also food and lodging during the journey (which takes anywhere from 3-7 days). These boats also pass through the San Blas Islands, which is the most incredible place I've ever seen and definitely worth seeing. I'd try to find a boat that's going to stop over in the islands for at least a couple days.

In terms of Colombia, you probably want to of course exercise caution when traveling there, but I wouldn't avoid it completely. Most of the country is still safe and it's beautiful!
The Official BootsnAll France Travel Guide

Are you on Twitter? Follow me!

Return to Central America Travel