The home for BootsnAll.com members - talk with other travelers, ask questions that don't fit anywhere else and learn more about the BnA community.

Passport application [edit: new info!]

MrTree

User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
 
Posts: 13
Joined: February 19th, 2011
Location: United States

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 21st, 2011
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I didn't know where else to put this.

I just filled out a passport application, but I didn't know what to put for Occupancy so I wrote "Artist", and for employer I wrote "Self". I don't yet have any travel plans, so in section 19. Travel Plans, where it asks the Date of Trip, Length of Trip, and Countries to be Visited - I just left the areas blank. Will I have any problems given what I've noted?
Last edited by MrTree on February 22nd, 2011, edited 2 times in total.

busman7

User avatar
World Citizen
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: January 12th, 2008
Location: Traveling for a while away from Playa San Diego SV

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 21st, 2011
What country :?:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Felix the Hat

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 2939
Joined: June 17th, 2002
Location: itinerant

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 22nd, 2011
MrTree wrote:Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I didn't know where else to put this.

I just filled out a passport, but I didn't know what to put for Occupancy so I wrote "Artist", and for employer I wrote "Self". I don't yet have any travel plans, so in section 19. Travel Plans, where it asks the Date of Trip, Length of Trip, and Countries to be Visited - I just left the areas blank. Will I have any problems given what I've noted?


Passport rules are specific to country, and you won't get any useful advice without us knowing which one issued your passport.

"Student" is generally much better for occupation than "artist". Many countries require evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself for the length of your visit. Calling yourself a self-employed artist won't instill confidence as well as calling yourself as student.

2wanderers

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 20th, 2003
Location: Edmonton, Canada

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 22nd, 2011
Felix the Hat wrote:
MrTree wrote:Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I didn't know where else to put this.

I just filled out a passport, but I didn't know what to put for Occupancy so I wrote "Artist", and for employer I wrote "Self". I don't yet have any travel plans, so in section 19. Travel Plans, where it asks the Date of Trip, Length of Trip, and Countries to be Visited - I just left the areas blank. Will I have any problems given what I've noted?


Passport rules are specific to country, and you won't get any useful advice without us knowing which one issued your passport.

"Student" is generally much better for occupation than "artist". Many countries require evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself for the length of your visit. Calling yourself a self-employed artist won't instill confidence as well as calling yourself as student.

That said, none of these things are likely to affect your passport application, since your own country probably couldn't care less about your ability to support yourself. Visa applications are a different story.

Felix the Hat

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 2939
Joined: June 17th, 2002
Location: itinerant

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 22nd, 2011
If it's a passport application, yes. OP said s/he "just filled out a passport", which left me a bit confused.

MrTree

User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
 
Posts: 13
Joined: February 19th, 2011
Location: United States

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 22nd, 2011
Ok, I corrected the post to "passport application" and I'm a U.S. citizen.

A very skilled traveler who literally wrote the book (ok, a book) on travel, said:

"If you have a credit card--even if it's maxed--you probably won't have a problem with sufficient funds, at least at the border. In my experience most countries with sufficient funds requirements have waved me through without checking my financial situation."

But he does note "at least at the border." so how would I show proof of my credit card in a visa application, done by a passport agency in Houston, TX when I'll be in Japan with my credit card?

MrTree

User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
 
Posts: 13
Joined: February 19th, 2011
Location: United States

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 23rd, 2011
Bumppp. This questions is very important because I'm waiting for an answer before I submit my passport application. I just need to know how I can prove to China that I have a credit card, when I send my passport to a visa agency back in the states for the Chinese visa application. I can't very well send off my credit card because I'd need it to travel, so again - how am I supposed to prove that I'm financially viable with the occupation of "Artist" or "Student"?

2wanderers

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 3620
Joined: August 20th, 2003
Location: Edmonton, Canada

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 23rd, 2011
Don't hold off sending your passport application. The information provided will not appear in your passport.

With the chinese visa...I would try to hedge and word my occupation as something that sounds a little more stable and lucrative (or temporary, like the "student" suggestion), but if you've got nothing else that wouldn't be an outright lie, then send it in. I'm guessing if you can afford a trip to China that you're not a starving artist, at least. If they want additional proof of funds/ability to pay, they'll let you know what they need.

Felix the Hat

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 2939
Joined: June 17th, 2002
Location: itinerant

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 23rd, 2011
MrTree wrote:Bumppp. This questions is very important because I'm waiting for an answer before I submit my passport application. I just need to know how I can prove to China that I have a credit card, when I send my passport to a visa agency back in the states for the Chinese visa application. I can't very well send off my credit card because I'd need it to travel, so again - how am I supposed to prove that I'm financially viable with the occupation of "Artist" or "Student"?


You're worrying too much about this. US Passport Agency will not put your occupation in your passport, which has less identifying information than a driver's license. For your China visa application, if you're not comfortable with "student", call yourself "contractor", which can mean just about anything. The only thing China cares about is that you have enough funds for the duration of your stay, so they don't get stuck with an indigent gwailo. Typically if they check for proof of funds (rare, unless you have dreadlocks and are wearing rags), they do it on arrival, not during the visa application.

MrTree

User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
 
Posts: 13
Joined: February 19th, 2011
Location: United States

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 24th, 2011
Thanks for the support. It's funny, because I do have long hair and a beard... and worry I'll be profiled everywhere - but there must be a way since I've seen people with dreadlocks and piercings traveling around China.

The man I quoted earlier also supports what both of you are saying, when he wrote:

"Some countries require travelers have sufficient funds to support themselves, and may request to see credit cards or travelers' checks. Sometimes a couple of passport-sized photos are also required."

That sounds fine with me, since it sounds like they don't ask for much more than a credit card besides a couple measly photos.. Thanks again.

Felix the Hat

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 2939
Joined: June 17th, 2002
Location: itinerant

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 24th, 2011
Pull back your hair and shave, or at least neatly trim, your beard for your passport photo. Dress neatly, preferably with a tie. The photo will be with you for ten years, and border officers usually have very broad discretion. Singapore used to refuse entrance to men with long hair. Malawi did until very recently. This isn't the time for a stand on vanity.

MrTree

User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
 
Posts: 13
Joined: February 19th, 2011
Location: United States

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 25th, 2011
Felix the Hat wrote:The photo will be with you for ten years, and border officers usually have very broad discretion.

Broad discretion, or broad discrimination? Even if I have a nice passport photo - I'll still be standing at the man or woman, so if I'm a legitimate traveler who needs to pack light and can't carry a suit and tie everywhere I go... how could I be challenged? Whether they like it or not, travelers wear travel gear, and I'd be dressed in a Polyester jacket with Polyester pants and hiking boots. It doesn't seem they'd actually turn back everybody who isn't in a suit-and-tie, and lots of college professors, psychiatrists etc. seem to have long hair and a santa-clause beard. If the culture is that damning, I'd rather take my travels elsewhere anyhow. I'm guessing it shouldn't be a problem (I'm also very handsome).

busman7

User avatar
World Citizen
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: January 12th, 2008
Location: Traveling for a while away from Playa San Diego SV

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 25th, 2011
The advise for a traveler to wear a tie seems a bit over the top IMO. :o
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

lazyjayn

Holds PhD in Packing
 
Posts: 175
Joined: April 29th, 2004

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 26th, 2011
Felix the Hat wrote:Pull back your hair and shave, or at least neatly trim, your beard for your passport photo. Dress neatly, preferably with a tie. The photo will be with you for ten years (...)


Emphasis mine.

You don't have to dress like a business person while you travel, but something clean and not-tattered tends to help at border crossings.

-j.

Felix the Hat

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 2939
Joined: June 17th, 2002
Location: itinerant

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 26th, 2011
lazyjayn wrote:
Felix the Hat wrote:Pull back your hair and shave, or at least neatly trim, your beard for your passport photo. Dress neatly, preferably with a tie. The photo will be with you for ten years (...)


Emphasis mine.

You don't have to dress like a business person while you travel, but something clean and not-tattered tends to help at border crossings.

-j.


Exactly. Being grubby while traveling is much more understandable than looking like an urchin in your passport photo. I'm not making a judgment here; I'm just saying that many border officials do make judgments based on a person's appearance. Mote power to you if you want to stand on principle here, but it will result in hassle.


Next

Return to BootsnAll Members' Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

PLEASE NOTE: Your original BootsnAll Boards Member login still works by logging in below on the Boards.
We have a new BootsnAll Account that you will start seeing around the BootsnAll Travel Network. This new login is not yet linked to your current Boards Account. In the meantime, you will need to sign up (for a BootsnAll Account) to use Account features like Indie ™ , Traveler Profiles etc.

Quick Links

Community Activity

Statistics for the last 7 days

New posts:
0
Newest Member:
Stephen


Indie - Multi Country Flight Finder
Round the World Travelers


Join BootsnAll on Facebook

1 (503) 528-1005

© 2018 BootsnAll Travel Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved.