The home for BootsnAll.com members - talk with other travelers, ask questions that don't fit anywhere else and learn more about the BnA community.

peak oil -> peak travel

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 1st, 2011
Will peak oil necessarily result in peak travel? Sobering article for travelers. Of course there are ways to get from A to B without environmentally-devastating air travel, but it certainly wouldn't be as easy.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 1st, 2011
I don't drive, but I do fly - way too much. I can imagine biking to Colombia, but not for a week to meet with clients.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 2nd, 2011
The article seemed to focus quite a bit on car travel, mostly in the context of commuting. Which really doesn't surprise me, given the costs and low speeds of driving in a city at rush hour.

It's possible that peak oil, and the resulting higher energy prices, will reduce international travel. But it seems to me this would be more likely to result in longer, less frequent trips (whether for business or pleasure), rather than actually reducing travel in aggregate.

Return to BootsnAll Members' Forum