Figure out the best way to get from Central to South America, when you should book your accommodations for Carnaval and local language school recommendations. If it's on South America, it's in this forum.

Peru: Book Bus in Advance from Mancaro-Lima?

ord2rtw2013

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Tags: peru, bus service, lima, mancora beach
  • Added on: April 22nd, 2011
Hello all,

I'm going to Peru this August and needs some advice in regards to booking buses. Do you think I'll have any problems booking a bus from Lima to Mancora if I wait until I get there? What about booking a bus from Mancora to Lima? Are the buses usually on time?

There are quite a few bus companies. I'm pretty flexible on the bus back to Mancora, but I'll need to be back in Lima on the day of my flight (would leave at 10pm). I could arrive the day before too. I'm planning on booking my bus three days in advance. I'm just scared they'll be no buses and I'll miss my flight.

It would be much cheaper for me to just book a round trip flight from Chicago to Lima. If I include Tumbes(closest airport to Mancora), the price jumps to $500 more!

Danke!

Becca

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 22nd, 2011
I don't see any problem if you have a 3 day window, though... If I wanted to be SURE of that bus, I'd do it as soon as possible once you're in Mancora, if possible, and yes, I'd book a place to stay in lima for one to 2 nights before your flight just to be sure you have some kind of cushion. LIma is a pretty cool place, and you could cut your tour of Lima in half, and do the second half in the portion just before your flight. This also gives you the time to go last minute souvenir shopping, which is almost as well done in the markets in Lima as in the other areas of Peru. The best handicrafts all end up in the Sunday market in Lima, it seems.

You may also run into the situation where they CAN'T sell you a ticket for the Mancora-Lima run more than a few days in advance, because buses run into Mancora, and they have to add your seat to the ones already purchased. I've run into that situation a few times in Peru.(There seems to be a direct service, so I'd take that option if I were you. Much more comfortable, and much more assured of a ticket long in advance) Still, I went all over Peru, and barring major holidays like Semana Santa and Navidad, one of the bus lines running always had a spot open. Competition is pretty fierce in the bus lines, comprising of several quality levels. If I were you, I'd go upmarket on the buses. They're more comfortable in all aspects, more reliable, and more secure. The high priced Bus-camas on the lower level of double decker buses are downright comfortable for all night rides. ON the 16 hour ride on the direct more expensive buses, expect at least two movies, even when you really want to sleep.

Heres one source:

Buses:

The second and most recommended (and economic) option to get to Mancora from Lima or another city in Peru is taking a direct bus to Mancora or nearby beaches.
There are bus companies that offer a very good service and although from Lima it is a long journey (1165 km, 16 hrs on bus), it is not as terrible as it sounds; if you choose correctly the bus company and its different services. This option is the most used by tourists from Lima.
Pacifico Adventures

The General characteristics of the best Lima - Máncora bus routes are:

* They depart from quiet residential districts, (ABC1) in Lima, such as the neighborhoods Miraflores and San Isidro.
* They take 16 hrs approximately. Usually buses depart in the afternoon from Lima, arriving in the early morning of the following day in Mancora.
* Do not make stops along the way, except for the switching of drivers.
* Two floor buses, where the first floor is usually Executive class (with more spacious and wide reclining seats) and the second floor is Economy class with good reclining seats (some are semi bed).
* They include in their services on board dinner and breakfast.
* Air conditioning system, two bathrooms, TV with DVD.
* The price of this service is between US $ 35 to US $ 60 *, for one way tickets.
* Some buses offer Wi-Fi (wireless Internet for laptops and notebooks) for a big part of the journey.

* Last update, May 2010.
* Reference prices. Bus companies usually raise their prices in high season; dates close to 28 July (Peruvian independence festivities) and New Year. For more about seasons, click here.

Economic buses:

There are buses of up to US $ 18 * per trip Lima - Mancora, some of which stop at many places along the highway. The journey takes much more time than the above mentioned buses. Some of these buses leave from the popular "Fiori" bus station in Lima.
* Reference prices from other cities in Peru:

From other cities in Peru:

From the rest of Peru (Trujillo, Chiclayo, Chimbote, Tarapoto, etc.), it would be more appropriate to take a bus to Piura (or Tumbes) and from that point take any direct service to Mancora or nearby beaches. If you come from Cusco or cities south of Lima (coast, mountains or jungle), you must first get to Lima and take the aforementioned options. If you come from Tumbes, take some direct transport to Mancora and/or nearby beaches (we recommend CIFA buses from Tumbes, the Ecuadorian border, or private taxi).

http://www.vivamancora.com/english/howt ... .htm#buses

Hein van Oosten

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 23rd, 2011
Oltursa is a highly recommended bus company. They have a direct connection Lima - Máncora. If you are flexible you don't have to book from the US. You only need one seat. So, just book as soon as you get to Lima. And book your return trip after having arrived in Máncora. I would suggest to not take the last possible bus before your return flight. Although companies like Oltursa are quite reliable, you never know what can happen which may cause missing your flight.

ord2rtw2013

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Thank you Tortuga Traveler and Hein van Oosten!!!!!

I checked out www.vivamancora.com and the Oltusas website. Whew! It's good to know I won't have a problem, but I agree with both of you. I'll book my bus the night before my flight leaves as soon as I arrive in Mancora. I threw in Mancora to check out the full moon party and yoga on the beach.

Have either of you experienced problems on the buses? I'm referring to theft. I'm debating whether or not I should bring my laptop or my iphone. I'll go with the best bus service.

Danke!

Becca

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I still think you ought to book that bus back so you have two full days before your flight, or at least one full day before the day of your flight. As I said, its better to stay a shorter time in Lima in the beginning, and finish your visit at the end. The last you want is something like a damaged road or other strange occurrence to make you miss your flight.

I found no issues of safety on the long haul buses. I DID leave my camera on a bus in another city, and of course had no chance to recover it. But that was outright carelessness, I think.

A lot of the reasons for that has to do with the reason I recommended a more expensive bus, like Otursa. They literally videotape or take pictures of every passenger, in case there is trouble. Hence, there is very little trouble on the buses.

Nobody enjoys a stay in a Peruvian jail. I have a kind of pity for the psycho who killed natalee holloway, then killed the daughter of an important Peruvian. Van der Sloot is probably wishing he was dead by now, and the enemies he's made will probably make sure he does die eventually.

Hein van Oosten

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

I have not experienced theft on buses, but I know people who have. In most cases it could have been avoided by being more careful. If you travel with companies like Oltursa or Cruz del Sur and you apply the normal precautions, the risk of theft is very low.

But don't only think in terms of buses. Valuables can also be stolen in other places, such as your hostel or just in the street. As far as laptops and other valuables are concerned, if you don't need them don't take them.

ord2rtw2013

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2011
I appreciate the help! :D

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 28th, 2011
one more thing:

If you do think you need a kind of computer to record your every action while you're in Peru and do email on a very regular basis, or even do research on your next location(which I did a lot), I don't recommend you take your Ipad or MacAir, or anything really expensive. Instead, consider purchasing a cheap net-book. its not especially fast or wonderful to use, but you can download firefox for free(Explorer is not as good), and make do with the cheap Microsoft Works they give you, thus eliminating buying software. Then you download a free antivirus program and you're set!

You've spent 200-300 dollars on a machine you can take whenever and wherever you travel, and you need not sweat bullets that your 'university work machine' will get lost. Hint- if you can, get one with a 5 hour lifetime or better. its a boredom saver on long bus trips, and is useful if all the plug spaces at your hostel are taken up.

I use the HP-210 because its said it has the best keyboard, but Acer and Asus makes good ones too for your purpose. No one who has them is complaining too much, far as I can tell, it does the job for them too. I use the Hp-210 for my academic needs, equpped with Microsoft office, and it does well enough. So, a machine like that with a smaller processor will be just fine for just taking notes and surfing the web. Its light, too.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 28th, 2011
Tortuga_traveller is spot-on, my ACER did a great job for 2 years, the hard drive just died here in El Salvador but getting it repaired for $110 should be ready for the next adventure starting Monday. Love it as it's an older 9in model so really small & light.

Use Windows writer for my blog & pics, just upload when I find free WiFi 8-)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Return to South America Travel