Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

Planning RTW. Who's Serious?

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

Tags: planning, rtw, multi-stop trips
  • Added on: September 18th, 2012
Anyone out there in the serious stages of planning an RTW trip?

I am looking for some folks to help me beta-test a trip planner. I need people who are actively looking for prices on RTW or multi-stop (4+) flights. Does not matter where you're starting or finishing, but you should be looking to start within the next year.

Anyone interested, shoot me a PM or reply to this thread.

Thanks!
What makes an Indie traveler? Discuss the Indie Travel Manifesto
Support a developing world entrepreneur. Join the BootsnAll Kiva Group

yanks26dmb

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 24th, 2012
I'm 11 months out from leaving and am trying to figure out whether to do a rtw ticket or point-to-point..so I might be of assistance. Let me know.

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 5th, 2013
Hi

I'm just in the throws of planning a rtw trip starting this October just 6 months this time.
When I planned our 12 months trip I did lots of research with point to point multi airline costs and compared this to the rtw tickets with different alliances.
You can get good deals with the rtw tickets but read the small print.
If you want to change a date or the route it can be expensive. We found at the time Virgin Alliance were the cheapest if it came to changing anything.
We added on to this the odd flights domestic and international.
In additions to that even when you have the best price check out with the travel agents for deals I managed to get money off and ended with a great price.
Also if you want to travel to Africa or South America the prices go up, standard routes obviously are the cheapest.
Our next trip is non standard so I expect it to be more expensive but I'll still look for saving money.
Best of luck and keep safe.

Eleanor Roberts

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 15th, 2013
My husband and I are currently planning our RTW trip which will begin in early 2014. We are busy planning our route and researching our transportation options. We would welcome the opportunity to try out any tools that would help us with planning our trip.

Thanks,
Eleanor Roberts

Sean

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 18th, 2013
Nice one Eleanor... The Indie Global TripPlanner is live for anyone to try now and has been for a few months:

http://indie.bootsnall.com is the place to access it.

As for comparing RTW Tickets, BootsnAll has researched and published 3 reports in the past year that compare all the ways of doing and RTW. Alliances, companies, and DIY

http://roundtheworldticket.com/reports

Lastly - we update our RTW Travel guide several times per year, and we created a little graphic that compares the different ways of flying RTW.
http://www.bootsnall.com/rtw/rtw-airfar ... ou-go.html

I will say that there is no right way - and we recommend all services to folks, depending on what there needs are.

Cheers and let us know if we can help!

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel