Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Portable USB charger?

lambchop

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: September 13th, 2009
What is the best option for a portable USB charger? I hate traveling with my laptop and my MP3 player and camera require charging from my laptop (via USB). I just found out that portable chargers are available, but I'm not sure which one to get (I'd also like to use it for my cell phone). Lithium batteries seem to last longer and handle things that require more power, however, I'm worried about if the battery dies when I'm on the road and don't have access to a computer that can charge it. For AA or AAA battery requirements, I'm worried that I'll have to constantly buy batteries.

I know there is no one-size fits all solution. I'm just looking to get some real-life stories/experiences so I can figure out what will best meet my needs.

Any ideas?

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

Zuleika

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 14th, 2009
This may not be what you are looking for exactly but I have one of these very handy universal plugs with USB plug included for my MP3 etc = total all in one.
so I dont need my laptop or have to rely on batteries.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... oh_product
(this is a UK version BTW)
Life is such an adventure, I can't wait to live it some more.

lambchop

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 15th, 2009
I clicked on that link and several others... not sure how this works. Does it plug into an outlet in the wall and there's a USB on the unit that you plug into?

Do you have any complaints about this product?

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

Zuleika

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 15th, 2009
yes - each plug type slides in and out with the slider button on the side and there is a USB port on the cap for your USB cable. You do have to plug into a socket for power so its not portable.
I have used it on several holidays and its great and more compact than the traditional 3 separate adaptors you usually get.
Life is such an adventure, I can't wait to live it some more.

Scritch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 22nd, 2009
What about this guy?

I don't own one, I just covet it from afar. Essentially it's a core unit, the chargepod, and you buy tips for your devices. There's a generic USB tip, and lots of specific ones made for different phone models you can look up on their website.

lambchop

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 28th, 2009
I ended up buying a universal A/C USB adapter. Basically, it plugs into the wall and accepts a USB cable. Obviously, if I don't have access to a wall outlet, then I'm screwed, but that's a rare case that I can live with.

David Traveler

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 14th, 2009
Is it working with your cellphone as well ? I also need one for my cellphone.Thanks.
New Traveler

lambchop

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 20th, 2009
I haven't tried it with a cell phone - I can just plug my cell phone charger directly into the wall so it doesn't add any value for me. If you have a USB adapter for your phone then you could plug the USB into the A/C adapter.

twowander

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 21st, 2009
http://us.kensington.com/html/7207.html

similar too the first one linked, but it has 2 different tops, 1 with USB and 1 with standard North American 2 prong.

I got mine at the apple store

Scritch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 11th, 2010
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2010/01/09/ces2010-rca-airnergy-charger-harvests-electricity-from-wifi/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Ohgizmo+%28OhGizmo!%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

This is an interesting gadget that charges devices by turning wifi signals into electricity. It's going to cost about $40 when it debuts.

I know it's another gadget in a culture that traditionally tries to minimize the crap they're lugging around, but for the flashpacker this might be a godsend.

Some of the comments question the manufacturer's claims. To me electricity=magic, so if you told me a company had developed a USB charger that runs on happy thoughts, I'd probably believe you.

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets