Discuss the importance of vaccines, side affects of medications, water-safety worries and health insurance questions. Research malaria meds, cost of medical treatment overseas and other issues related to health on the road.

Pre-Existing Health issues/insurance

Midgelson

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 1st, 2010
In planning for my upcoming trip, I noticed that all travel insurance plans (nomads, sta, etc) do not cover pre-existing health conditions. My question is, in the case of a pre-existing condition, what is the best way to have coverage while traveling? So far the only option I see it to carry U.S. based health insurance to the tune of $500-700/month for a family plan, and then tack on a nomads plan.

Any insight on health insurance while traveling with a pre-existing medical issue would be greatly appreciated! We are just talking about monthly meds.....but if a situation arose where i needed to see a doctor I want to make sure I'm covered.....many thanks in advance!

La Lluvia

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 1st, 2010
Hi,

You are correct that most Travel Insurance plans do not cover pre-existing health conditions. However
the Patriot International (for US citizens)plan will cover a sudden recurrence of a pre-existing condition with a $15,000 limit. Full details can be reviewed here. Click on "Quote and Buy" under the Patriot International plan. Note, your existing monthly meds will not be covered by this policy...only costs of seeing a doctor will be covered.

http://www.bootsnall.com/travel-insuran ... rance.html

Regards,

Traveller11

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 2nd, 2010
Many travel insurance companies can give you a custom policy that will cover pre-existing conditions (some they will never cover). It will usually cost a lot more than your standard policy. You will need to call them and discuss it.

Midgelson

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 4th, 2010
Thank you both for the advise......patriot international prices seem too good to be true....I am going to call both them and Nomads and see what they offer. Either option is priced well below carrying U.S. regular health insurance and travel insurance!

Return to Health and Travel