Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling the east coast of Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

preparing for WH in Oz/NZ

MissyTravl

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 20th, 2011
hey

was wondering if anyone who'd already done a WH VIsa in either or both countries would be able to give me some more info by any chance.

I should be arriving in NZ in Sept. So when revising my pack list i was wondering if i would need to bring documents with me, ie bank statements , proof of addresses and that sort of stuff (for customs to prove that i got the amount of money stated on their websites and/or to be able to open a bank acc in the country). Would i require any of this? I remember when i first came to England they were quite difficult about opening a bank account without having documents to proof where you'd lived for the past 3-5 years!

I have read on a few forums that you should keep a copy of your valuable documents like passport etc on you, as well as email them to yourself and leave a copy with a family member. Now, the question i had was, do those copies need to be certified? I mean if worst came to worse and i required these documents to get a new passport or proof who i am, would they be accepted without the certification?

And as a general question even though it seems to be that way, all the tour etc offers you see online, you get cheaper once you are there, right?

thanks so much for your help!

CAseyA

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 22nd, 2011
In terms of the bank statements and stuff they need for the visa when you're entering the country, they definitely don't need to be certified. I took them, cause they said to bring them with the visa, but they didn't ask to see them at all. I don't know if this would have been different if I hadn't been american (maybe) but as it was, they didn't even ask to see them. I don't know what they do in Australia.

As far as the passport goes, I'd say make a copy and leave it with your parents, and then have another copy and keep that separate from your passport. I'm not really sure what you'd need to have on you to get a new passport without it being a huge pain, other than your social security card and birth certificate, which I think you shouldn't take with you. Suffice it to say, make copies, don't worry about it, and try not to lose your passport.

Basically everything is cheaper when you get there, and if you wait to book stuff til you get there then you can get advice about what sounds good from other travelers.

MissyTravl

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 23rd, 2011
thanks a lot for your input CaseyA! would be great to hear more experiences from other travellers too! thanks again

nzbeek

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 18th, 2011
I came on a WHV in '05 (still here) and I had to show my bank acct balance when checking in at LAX. The agent was a bit confused by me not actually posessing a NZ visa or outbound ticket, but I had a printout of the WHV paperwork from the website saying I'd be issued a visa on arrival, it also showed one of the rules the WH scheme was 'possession of outbound ticket or proof of funds to purchase one' I showed her this with a printout from my online banking Acct (not notarized or anything) showing a balance of ~$5k. . . she took the papers went into the back and made a call and came back in a couple minutes with a smile and 'have a nice flight'.

I flew on Air Tahiti Nui which may not send much traffic to NZ hence the agents unfamilarity. There's enough young people coming here on WHV scheme that I'm sure if you're coming in on Qantas or AirNZ you won't have any issues at the departure airport. As far as arrival here, kiwis are real friendly (even the immigration officers) and they see plenty of 20 something backpackers coming in-- a lot on the WHV and don't make it difficult if you've got printout from the WHV website showing you details.

a.bettis04

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 4th, 2011
I have a question relating to this topic as well. I have had one student visa in Australia and plan in getting my WHV and arriving at the beginning of September. When I applied for my student visa it was a super quick process done online with no proof of funds or anything. I also had a return ticket.

In September I plan on staying for a year (but would consider staying longer based on possibility of being sponsored, etc.) and don't want to book a return ticket because I really am not sure of my plans. I could return to the States, go on to NZ or Asia or return to Europe.

When I came to Italy with my student visa I had to show both proof of substantial funds (notarized) and an affidavit (notarized) saying I had enough individual funds or support to purchase a return ticket. However, it's a student visa and Italy does a good job of seeing that foreigners can't get work visas.

I'm just curious if it will be such a hassle for getting to Oz, if it would be better to purchase some kind of ongoing ticket (maybe to NZ?) or if people think that a problem is even going to arise?

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 5th, 2011
Proof of sufficient funds (I think it's $3,000) would be good to have on you. I only had a tourist visa for Australia, and they didn't check me for proof of onward travel; but they definitely did in NZ, where I did have a WHV, but I'm pretty sure they checked everyone, regardless of what visa they had. The nice folks at Jetstar wouldn't let us check in for our flight to NZ without proof of onward travel -- they made the guy in line in front of me purchase a ticket. But anyway, this is somewhat irrelevant.

Based on what I've read from past threads over the years, a lot of people have skated through without being asked anything, but then there is the occasional thorough gov't employee that WILL check...

What some folks on here have done, and I can't vouch for it or endorse it -- is they've copied and pasted the layout of an old flight itinerary and changed the dates / destinations around. Or, they print off a theoretical itinerary without actually purchasing the ticket.

a.bettis04

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 9th, 2011
larizzle wrote:Proof of sufficient funds (I think it's $3,000) would be good to have on you. I only had a tourist visa for Australia, and they didn't check me for proof of onward travel; but they definitely did in NZ, where I did have a WHV, but I'm pretty sure they checked everyone, regardless of what visa they had. The nice folks at Jetstar wouldn't let us check in for our flight to NZ without proof of onward travel -- they made the guy in line in front of me purchase a ticket. But anyway, this is somewhat irrelevant.

Well that happened to a friend of mine in NZ as well (he had a WHV for Oz and not for NZ) so that's why I was curious.

Thanks for the input! I think I'll wing it but bring the proof of funds anyway... appreciate the response!

travel droppings

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 12th, 2011
I just arrived in Aus on Feb 1 2011. I came in from LAX on Vaustralia. The customs people didnt ask either of us anything. Nothing about being on the WHV, nothing about how long we'd be there. Nothing about money. I could have had a pound of meth under my armpits and they wouldnt have been wiser.

I do recommend having a print off of your bank funds just in case. Plus having a credit card proves you could buy a flight out if needed. I wouldnt buy an onward flight as you might not use it. I also wouldnt fake a flight ticket because it wont be a problem in the first palce, so dont think you have to lie your way out of it.

Thats my story.
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

JainaSJedi

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 17th, 2011
Not sure if the original poster has left yet, but here are my thoughts .

I arrived at the end of February to start my NZ working holiday and the one thing that I really wasn't prepared for was the cost of living, especially food. The cost of living is much higher than I had anticipated/budgeted for and as I spent the first two months touring around, I blew through a big chunk of my savings. NZ also raised GST in November 2010 from 12.5% to 15% so that's where some of the increase is coming from. Even talking with kiwis, and Australians living here, it seems like it's very difficult to save money even if you have a job here. For now, I have settled in Dunedin and am working in a lab at the University, but after that I am not sure where I am going to go.

Does anyone know how crazy NZ might get with the Rugby World Cup in September and October? Are prices likely to go higher?

For those with WHV in Australia, where are the best places to look for work? I might tackle Australia in a few months if I can't find work in NZ.

travel droppings

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 19th, 2011
Im currently on the WHV in Australia and yes, it can be hard to save money here while working. I do think however that we've found a way. The two of us are currently working at an outback "resort", not the fancy resort like you may be thinking, more like an outback hotel/motel/camping that offers tours through the flinders ranges.

The gig pays 23AUD per hour and costs about 100 per week for lodging. This includes accom, 3 meals, free internet and the basics all covered. There isnt really anything to spend our money on out here either, so saving will be a breeze. Besides the 100, weve spend about $10 per week between us. We currently average 50 hours a week, and the money we save after 5 months is enough to keep us fed and traveling well after we leave here.

We've found that jobs like this are all over the country. Go through your lonely planet or Rough Guide Aus and look for self sufficient resorts in the outback. Each company has a website with a page on how to apply for a job.

Locations we've found these jobs include the Flinders Ranges, Yulara Resort, The Whitsundays, MacDonald Ranges, and several outside of Darwin. They are usually in remote places, so look there first. If its remote, then they likely provide lodgings and meals. This is also a way to see a part of the country few other backpackers can afford to see. So far the only backpackers we've met were a few of the staff members, the customers are all locals.

I think in the city is would be harder to save this amount as your daily expenses for food and accom would be at least 40 per day. That means the first 2 or 3 hours each day go into those basic needs alone. Minus 30% for taxes and you havent got much else for savings. Then add in going out on weekends and paying for things on days off etc, it can be very hard to save money while living in the cities.

Thats just my take. I would love to hear how others have been able to save whilst working in Australia.
Cheers!
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

Return to Australasia and the Pacific Islands Travel