Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Protecting Your Money/Wallet? Where Do You Keep Your Money?

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 21st, 2011
It's interesting to see how many people seem to carry their passport with them when they're out and about. I never carry mine. Only when I'm going on a bus trip and only then because where I live it's common for the army/immigration to set up checkpoints. But when just going around town? nope. I'd rather just leave it in my room.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

Scritch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2011
vagabondette74 wrote:It's interesting to see how many people seem to carry their passport with them when they're out and about. I never carry mine. Only when I'm going on a bus trip and only then because where I live it's common for the army/immigration to set up checkpoints. But when just going around town? nope. I'd rather just leave it in my room.

Some places require you to have it on you at all times. I got stopped by a police officer in Paris, and he wasn't pleased that I didn't have my passport with me (I did have my U.S. driver's license, which for obvious reasons isn't a valid form of ID there.) If I hadn't been with a French friend who talked him into letting me go, I'm not sure how that conversation would have progressed. Even so, I had to wait while he called in my name and description, I suppose to ensure there weren't any obvious alerts on shady Americans.

Still, I'm always torn between leaving it somewhere secure (if you can even find a secure place to store it) and misplacing it when I'm out and about.

mrdarcys_cravat

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 22nd, 2011
How do you seasoned travelers feel about daypacks? I plan on having a mini backpack with me, but there are some zip-up pockets on the inside that I was planning on putting my cash/cards/valuables in. That way, even if my bag got cut or whatnot, my main stuff would be safe.
Europe for 3 months, Summer '11: http://theelephantvanishes.wordpress.com/

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 23rd, 2011
I never put money or documents in a day pack, also never carry passport when I'm out & about, only when traveling, do carry a photocopy though.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 23rd, 2011
I always carry my daypack with me - generally because I always have my netbook with me...unless I'm going out to socialize.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

cinny2

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 8th, 2011
I've used the neck pouches, but they always felt a bit uncomfortable, especially when sleeping in sketchy places. I've also used the waist pouch, but it looks odd putting more a buch of stuff in there and can look obvious.

Typically, I use a combination of of one of the pouches (for the passport, official (plane) tickets and a wallet. I also wear a pair of spandex-y workout shorts (under armour, usually) with pockets under my skirt/jeans/etc., and keep the wallet in the pocket of the shorts.

Previous

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets