Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Protecting Your Money/Wallet? Where Do You Keep Your Money?

Andrew Michaels

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 10th, 2010
So people have warned me about pickpockets.

However, I always keep my wallet in either my front thigh pocket or cargo pants pocket. I don't think my money can be pick pocketed there.

Should I still be worried?

Where do you keep your money? Do you have a hidden money pouch?

Little J

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 10th, 2010
Wallet? I carry my money in a wrist-band that has a pouch in it. I have seen quite a few of these on Amazon lately. I slip it around my wrist and wear my money as a rather thick bracelet. I'm sure a trained pickpocket will know that is exactly what it is, but will also go for the easier target. I just want to make myself the "more difficult so not taken" choice.

A few days ago I saw a woman get her pocket picked. It was the first time I have witnessed this type of crime. She was wearing a suit jacket with rectangular pouch pockets on the front. Her wallet was sitting in her left pocket of her jacket. Her jacket wasn't buttoned. The wallet was rather fat. The pickpocket didn't even have to try hard to lift it as the pickpocket (also a woman) walked by and briefly bumped the wallet-bearing woman.

The pickpocket then looked at me and realized that I had eyes on and seen the entire thing and was committing her appearance to memory so as to give a report to the police, when she dropped the wallet at my feet and ran off. I explained what had just happened and asked the original woman if anything was missing and the original woman confirmed that nothing had been taken.

Then she put it right back into that insecure pocket.

With people like her around, I know that my wallet will be safe.

TravelWarrior

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 11th, 2010
Only keep as much money on you that you need for the day...stay in hotels with safes in the room...
Don't carry tons of cash on you. If your cash is stolen, it's gone, but if your credit card is stolen, you can find the nearest phone and cancel it. No money lost.

a lot of travelers wear money belts that fit under their clothes on their skin...you can get necklace types that hang on your chest, or actual belts that go under your pants on your waist. No "fanny packs." Those are a target..and they look dumb. also, keep in mind, a skilled picker can get anywhere...they even uses razors to slice the sides of woman's purses to slip things out without them knowing.

Usually, you don't run into pickpockets unless you are dumb. ALWAYS be aware of where your important belongings are and who is around you. a pickpocket won't pick someone who looks confident and aware...
If you like my advice, please visit travel website @ http://www.EveryoneInBetween.com

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 11th, 2010
1. If you're alert looking enough, many pickpockets will avoid you, unless:

A. It is a crowded situation where there are multiple touches, and you have no egress.
B. They work in teams of two or three. One bumps, one snatches wallet, one recieves said tossed wallet and runs like crazy. Leaving two others with no evidence of any theft.

C. They feel like a challenge, and see a bulge in your front or back pocket. Good lifters can do this practically blindfolded. I've heard stories of people distracting targets and using a razor knife to cut a hole so the wallet drops out.

So:

In areas where I know pickpockets are prevalent, I keep nothing valuable in my wallet, keep all valuable cards and most cash in a belly pack(samsonite makes mine) and usually only take out a coin/change purse for small purchases.

The times I forgot to do this are the times that I had to make a lot of calls to cancel credit cards, and it is NOT fun.

Keeping wallets in front pockets are good, but often, not good enough, so trust your belly pack with the serious stuff, and only keep spending cash in the wallet. This is convenient and works out well.

Cash of a smaller amount should be more easily replaceable than travellers cheques or debit/credit cards.

Same goes for travel documents. They should be on the body, not in your daypack or luggage for obvioius reasons. There are bag snatchers out there too.

midlifetravel

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 12th, 2010
I keep all my cash except for what I need for the day all my cards, unless I need one for the day, and my passport in a shoulder holster type money belt - in hangs under my arm and clips onto my bra strap. When I get home I literally feel naked with out it - it is either on me or with me (in the shower) or under my head (at night).

My wallet is cheap, tatty and only usually has a $20-$50 equivalent in it - I've had it stolen several times - no big deal - nothing of huge value there.

BTW I couldn't care less about my e-tickets - they go in the pack -I can replace them at the nearest internet cafe with a printer

Lis
Travel for the Over 30's

jackberry

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 7th, 2010
I just keep my money in my pocket and just being alert all the time so that I won't be a victim of those pickpocket guys or women.

MrPlow42

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 3rd, 2011
Small bills in one front pocket, wallet with a days worth of money in the other, rest of money, atm/credit cards and passport in a belly pouch. I have two so I can wash one every night in hot weather to keep the stink factor down.

Start with a thin wallet then put almost nothing in it. I carry bank notes and a driver's license. Period. I think fat wallets attract the wrong kind of attention and they're a literal pain to sit on.

I have a couple long sleeve shirts from Royal Robbins which have a pocket behind the exterior chest pockets. Opening is disguised and held in place by velcro. Didn't even know it was there when I bought the shirts, found it when I read the product info tags after taking them off. Use it mostly for ATM card when on the way to the machine.

twowander

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 7th, 2011
carry money for the day in my front pocket
copy of passport, bankcard, and visa in zip-lock bag that is stashed in a sewn in pocket inside my pants/shorts/boardshorts(hence ziplock)

I see way to many travelers with there neck pouch or waist pouch on the outside of there clothes because they chafe, are hot, or to inconvenient to access when they need money

I also question every time I see a traveler pull out a big fat wallet. Leave that sh!t at home. Do you really need your club Z points card in India? Blockbuster movie rentals in Thailand? How many gas receipts are you collecting while traveling to submit for expenses?

3-4 item only Passport, Drivers licence(only if you have international), credit card, and bankcard. everything else is pickpocket bait.

travel droppings

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 8th, 2011
First of all, I think fanny packs look cool. But then again, I also use wrap-around sunglasses and still listen to marky mark on my walkman (totally 90's).

But seriously, I have a wallet with my money and credit cards and my drivers license. I keep it in my front pocket. When I have my messenger style camera bag, it hangs over that pocket. I stay alert and always have one firm grasp on my strap. I have never had a problem.

Know that you could be a mark and be aware of the people around you. And know what you are going to do if someone pushes you or trys to grab your bag. Just be prepared and be alert.

Been all over the world and never had a problem
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 13th, 2011
Little J wrote:Wallet? I carry my money in a wrist-band that has a pouch in it. I have seen quite a few of these on Amazon lately. I slip it around my wrist and wear my money as a rather thick bracelet. I'm sure a trained pickpocket will know that is exactly what it is, but will also go for the easier target. I just want to make myself the "more difficult so not taken" choice.

A few days ago I saw a woman get her pocket picked. It was the first time I have witnessed this type of crime. She was wearing a suit jacket with rectangular pouch pockets on the front. Her wallet was sitting in her left pocket of her jacket. Her jacket wasn't buttoned. The wallet was rather fat. The pickpocket didn't even have to try hard to lift it as the pickpocket (also a woman) walked by and briefly bumped the wallet-bearing woman.

The pickpocket then looked at me and realized that I had eyes on and seen the entire thing and was committing her appearance to memory so as to give a report to the police, when she dropped the wallet at my feet and ran off. I explained what had just happened and asked the original woman if anything was missing and the original woman confirmed that nothing had been taken.

Then she put it right back into that insecure pocket.

With people like her around, I know that my wallet will be safe.

Reminds me of going to Paris- I was worried that it was going to be a bit rougher than what I was used to because I'd heard so many warnings, but then realized upon arrival that the reason for the warnings is there are so many naive Americans who have never been abroad who make easy targets as they don't know better. If you mix in it's perfectly fine.

I have a very small purse that straps across my shoulder that is usually where I put my wallet/passport etc, as if I'm wearing my jacket you can't see it and if I'm feeling even the silghtest bit worried I can put my hand on it for immediate reassurance if I get a little paranoid in crowds etc.

Granted, if I'm going to someplace I feel is unsafe (and being from an American city most places do not fall into this category for me) I have done the moneybelt thing while traveling around. In South Africa I also didn't go outside the hostel with my wallet while in the big cities, just took advantage of an ATM in the hostel and slipped what cash I'd need for the day into my pocket along with the point and shoot camera. I mean most of the world is perfectly safe- after all the only time I had something stolen from me it was about 50 Euro and that was in a hostel and done by a fellow traveler as I'd let my guard down from traveling in a group.

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 2nd, 2011
I never used the money belt I brought along. I just keep some money in my wallet (along with my debit card) and keep it in the front pocket.

When I was in dodgy places, sometimes, I'd slip my money/card into my sock (keeping a little bit of money in wallet, to look legit in case I was robbed). Never had problems.

backlasher

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 7th, 2011
I carry a day's worth of money in a zip-up coin purse. Passport, DL, credit card, ATM card and majority of my money go in a money belt. The money belt is inside my pants making it hard to get at but some of those people are very,very good at what they do. BTW I leave my regular wallet at home when I travel.
The feature I most value in a pack is a Sherpa.
Static

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2011
I don't use a money belt - never have, never will. The people I see using them are so obvious about it that they just make bigger targets. I also don't carry a wallet. Why have noticeable lumps? I just carry my cash in my front pocket. I've never been picked. In 3.5 years on the road I've only been robbed once and that was on a train to Poland and was mostly my fault.

Just don't be obvious about carrying lots of cash and being a tourist and you're fine.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

Pieje

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 20th, 2011
I wear Fjallraven G1000 type trousers/shorts which both have a inside pocket( a little pocket, larg enough for a passport and some cards and cash, hanging down from inside part where ur belt runs around) with zippers, where i put in my passport, creditcard and bills if i need a larger amount of cash on me for whatever reason(which i gernerally avoid though)

Only downside is that it looks quite awkward everytime when u go for something in that pocket in a public place(i need to unbuckle my belt and pants), but i dont rlly mind that or even find it a bit amusing :)
travelblog --> www.mytb.org/pieje

Markus

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2011
I carry my money in my front pocket. Just like I do at home. The exception is when I'm in hot climates and wearing surf short more often, I may keep my money in a small waist pouch like a money belt but nylon and meant to be worn on the outside. It's a Diesel knockoff I picked up in Bangkok and I wear it only to make it easier to get my money out and hold my passport so I don't have to stuff it into the single velcro back or side pocket most of my surf shorts have.

I don't worry about it too much. I mean, I do worry about it, but I try not to let it get to me. When I'm in a crowded sketchy area, I may put my hand in my pocket to block my wallet, but on one of my recent trips I was also shouldering thousands of dollars worth of camera gear and a little more worried about putting that bag down in the wrong place than losing the eighty odd dollars I had in my pocket at any given time.

Next

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets